Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   08 camry ac wont work (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/08-camry-ac-wont-work-52075/)

maycam 02-09-2018 06:15 PM

08 camry ac wont work

08 Camry Hybrid. Checked for freon. Good. Control panel works. A/C light comes on. Compressor not responding. Tried to check fuse in engine compartment. Could not take it out. Any suggestions. Hopefully I dont need a new compressor. Please advise. Thank you

toyomoho 02-09-2018 07:08 PM

No cold air?

Does the heater blower work?

Did you check the A/C fuse?

Auto or manual control?

maycam 03-03-2018 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 97305)
No cold air?

Does the heater blower work?

Did you check the A/C fuse?

Auto or manual control?

Thank you for responding. I was having login problems. Hence delay. Here is update

Took vehicle to independent mech. He told me it was leaking evaporator. Charged system for me pending reports. Took it to dealer as I also wanted to see if shinny dashboard qualifies for replacement. It did. They tested it and told me no leaks. Vehicle with them for couple days to see if freon leaks.

toyomoho 03-03-2018 10:18 AM

Thanks for posting back.

Great job!

Suggest determining 100% if the evaporator is leaking or not!

Thought replacing the evaporator required removing the complete dash to access the unit the evaporator is installed in. If leaking check on this.

If leaking and the dealer is removing/replacing the dash due to warranty. They could then also access and replace the evaporator at that time. You would save a GOOD deal of money on labor costs to remove the dash. Plus make the dealer happy as they could make some money charging you for the A/C repairs.

If they replace the evaporator, have them install a new expansion valve which is bolted to the evaporator as insurance against future issues.

maycam 03-04-2018 12:59 AM

Thanks for your rec again.
1st estimate was $2500. Independent was $1685. Out of town dealer $1395. Checked twice. Removing dash was a small repair per dealer $150 labor at most. Evaporator requires removal of whole dashboard unit. Chaninging valve was also rec. Dealer told me they put dye and pressurized system. NO LEAKS. Now I am going to hope it stays put.

Replaced transmission fluid. I thought it was drain and fill. He told me it does have a screen. Dropped pan under inverter. $248.

Rear arm left wheel assembly hub. Ordered one from autozone. Delay will replace with autozone warranting part. I could do it myself but don't have time.

So so far happy with this car. Trying to maintain vs get new or used one. Change oil every 5k miles.

toyomoho 03-04-2018 02:48 PM

Not all of the dash needs replacing for Toyota repair?

Good news on A/C leaks.

Replacing trans fluid is good idea to prolong life! Cheap insurance.

Can be best to stick with known quantity. Used cars can have problems. New cars are expensive with added costs of taxes, license fee increase, higher insurance.

maycam 03-05-2018 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 97485)
Not all of the dash needs replacing for Toyota repair?

Good news on A/C leaks.

Replacing trans fluid is good idea to prolong life! Cheap insurance.

Can be best to stick with known quantity. Used cars can have problems. New cars are expensive with added costs of taxes, license fee increase, higher insurance.

Just the top part of the dash. To get to evaporator the whole dash unit has to come out.
Will keep u posted on repairs. Thanks for supporting transmission fluid change. I checked and most searches showed it only as drain and fill. Seems it is more than that.

toyomoho 03-05-2018 07:22 PM

Thanks for the update.