General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 remote start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Default 09 remote start

My MIL has a 09 camry and somehow I got nominated to make her life easier and find her a remote car starter. I called a local installer and he said he cannot do it. I called the dealer and they could give me no answers.
I looked online and found a toyota remote start for like $350. There is a note that it needs the VIP security system to integrate? No clue how to tell if it has the VIP alarm or not.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:01 AM
Default RE: 09 remote start

Remote starts are probably the most fuel wasteful, polluting devices you can buy. The engine heats more slowly than if she just drove itafter start-up.The pollution control system operates longer in open loop and the car burns more gas with higher pollution. You will also find that because the engine burns a richer mixture for a longer time there will be higher amounts of fuel to oil dilution - that reduces the lubricating qualities of the engine oil. If its that cold where she lives a better solution would be a block heater on a timer.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 AM

Thank your for your insight. I fail to see how a 1500watt heating element running for a few hours is less wasteful than burning a pint of gasoline. In this climate -15* days are not uncommon. I dont know about you but I dont like sitting in a deep freeze for a car. A block heater would help by getting the car warmer faster but you are still looking at sitting in a -15* car for the first 5 mins of my drive.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I fail to see how a 1500watt heating element running for a few hours is less wasteful than burning a pint of gasoline.
You are right that no matter how you produce energy there is pollution factor. It depends how the electricity is produced - coal burning of course would be the worst. Nix the block heater then.

but you are still looking at sitting in a -15* car for the first 5 mins of my drive.
Wow!What an awful experience, a full 5 minutes. Glad to see your attitude is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM

he asked for help not you telling him it is a wast. we dont care that you are Green. i have a 99 camry that cant pass emitions test for anything and i do remote start even in the summer so my car is cold.

and about the alarm toyota has a security system in there cars already so you have to find a bypass for it. thats why it is so much money.