General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

1992 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Unhappy 1992 Cam

Here's my situation.

I'm trying to get my '92 Camry up and running but it needs quite a bit of work done to it. It hasn't run in 2 years and I know it needs the following:

• new struts
  • new driver side window motor
  • there's a gas leak
  • new muffler

As a really broke college student, does anyone have an suggestions on where I should go to get this done? About how much I should be expecting to spend? IF IT'S EVEN WORTH IT?

I was thinking of trying to get local people to work on the car, and save the gas leak for a professional. I was going to pay to get it towed to a pro to get everything priced, but I thought I'd stop here first.

Any suggestions would be quite helpful.
Thanks!
-Courtney

Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

What is the reason for all these repairs? Does you state have an auto registration inspection that generated this list and requires the work be done to get the car licensed?

If NOT and you are BROKE suggest skipping the strut and driver's window motor. How loud is the muffler, if not that loud skip it. If the muffler has a hole in it you can purchase a repair tape that can be wrapped around the pipe or muffler as a short term fix.

The main issue is gas leak. Where is it leaking? Perhaps leaking out the bottom in the area of the gas tank filler. Or in the engine compartment.

If leaking in the gas tank area the steel gas filler tube may be rusted out. Does gas only leak when you fill the tank? If so this may be the reason. Or it could be one of the many small hoses in the this area.

If the leak is in the tank area the tank would need to be removed (easy enough) to replace the parts.

Leaks in the engine compartment are typically emissions hoses or the emissions system canister. Both are easy fixes although the canister is around $200 for parts.

Either of this problems are not uncommon for Camry of this age.

New struts might cost $2-300 PER strut installed (meaning this amount times 4). Not cheap at $800 or more dollars.

Window regulator and muffler guessing!! $200-250 and $300.

Suggest you avoid chain store type shops such as Firestone and the Toyota dealer both which can be very expensive and may even want you to do more repairs then you need.

Try to find a smaller local shop but BEST to first ask around your area, school, etc. If the car is at school determine if you school has a student body autoclub(s) such as Toyota, Ford, trucks, etc. Then check with members who may be more up to speed on local repair shops. Perhaps there are students who do car repair on the side to gain extra income. All of these repairs could be done by someone working out of their garage.

One issue is some but not all shops will attempt to run you through the cleaners on repairs resulting in a very large bill. Thus it is well worth the time to check out repair shops.

If you do go to a shop get an estimate with a detailed explanation of what work will be done. Keep in mind depending on your state the shop may be able to exceed this estimate by a certain amount (it is just after all an estimate) and your will be required to pay it.

Might ask the same question at the Toyotanation website in the Camry Section and include the city/state you are in. This site has a much greater membership, you might be more accurate estimates of cost and perhaps members may know of a shop in your area that does good work.