General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Camry Nightmare 3VZ-FE

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Default 1992 Camry Nightmare 3VZ-FE

I purchased a '92 Camry 3 years ago drove it 19.6 miles from the dealership and the motor blew. Since then I have put in a new engine (3vz-fe) as well as new coils Distributor, plugs wires starter, Main computer, relays,... the list goes on and on...
Anyways, I recently took it to have it diagnosed and was told it needed a Dist. so I put one in and now it will fire for about 3 seconds when the MAF is unplugged but will not even catch if it is plugged in. My question is would it be the MAF or could it be something like the TPS?
Any help would be much appreciated and would wake me from my nightmare!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Default RE: 1992 Camry Nightmare 3VZ-FE

On another post you said - "I have the same car and after 3 years I am finally able to get ignition but it will only run for about 3 seconds or 1500 RPM b4 it dies. Any suggestions?"

So has this car not run for 3 years? Did it run before you changed the dist.? Will it run if you give it gas? Will it run above 1500rpm? Did you check for any codes? Will it restart and run for another 3 secs? Have you tried using starting fluid to keep it running?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 PM

codes all check. what happened was we bought the car then the motor blew so we bought a used motor for it that was garuanteed but it took us too long due to $ prob to get in before warranty expired. after it was checked by dealer all codes check, we were told after a diagnostic that it needed a new dist., a new coil wire and a new intake hose. car did not fire untill we put on the new dist. and this is only when the MAF is not plugged in. i have tried plugging in the sensor and cannot get and fire but as soon as this is plugged in the car will fire for about 3-10 seconds before dying. put in a new feul filter and wondering about replacing the MAF. when car does fire it has ALOT of white smoke so I dont know if that is a more major problem to worry about or not i have $5000.00 + in this thing already and am wondering if i will ever get it running and dont want to spend any more than i already have to get it going!!!!

Thanks in advance for any more help and thank you for replying in the first place. i really appreciate any help with this piece....

Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 PM

ok first of all u really shouldnt ever useing starting fluid on an fuel injected motor..... second of all on ur throttle body there is an iac valve i should have 3 hoses going to it and prob a plug..... you may have mixed up the hosescuz one isvacume and2 should be coolant.....if it is sucking in coolant it will cause it toblow tons of smoke andchoke the motor out...... but it also does seem like a mass airflow sensor....... the other thing u may want to look into is see if the computer has any codes because that may lead u to somthing that u left unplugged or just somthin stupid u know..... the other thing is make sure u have the fireing order right,,,,

Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Question Njghtmare Camry

Well, it originally was the MAF sensor. Once we replaced that it fired right away. It has been running now for 1 1/2 years. Of course we have had more than our share of problems with it. Had to have the head gasket replaced, put new plugs in, new wires, new front seal...

Anyways, as we were driving down the road today the o/d light started to flash on and off. I had to slow down to turn and after turning it did not come on again. As it started doing this it also started dying as I am driving it at stops. Now it will not shift itself into o/d even at speeds of 50+.

BTW, THANK YOU for the prior advice!! It worked great. hope to get some good suggestions this time.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Angry Njghtmare Camry

Now that is over with. The dumb thing has quit altogether. I think it might be the coil/igniter pack cuz I am not getting any spark. Anyone have any ideas let me know. I don't have the 400 to spend on a new one.