Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   1993 4cy Leaking Transmission Fluid Is this from my differential cover? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/1993-4cy-leaking-transmission-fluid-my-differential-cover-49495/)

umdaman 06-03-2014 07:42 AM

Thanks for the link to the photos. Makes sense it would be coming from that seal. Yea unfortunately I had it rebuilt 8/2011, I got 39,000 miles out of it already. I'm guessing if the torque converter was not installed correctly it would have failed sooner no? The guy I had remove and install my transmission in my opinion a very talented mechanic. He mainly works on performance mustangs. But he knows his stuff. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 86291)
Obviously something failed, can only speculate. This would be the trans input shaft/trans oil pump seal, torque converter seal or rarely a leaky converter body.

The torque converter is filled with trans fluid.

This repair have a warranty, if so suggest following up. If a proper rebuild, these parts should have been replaced and you stated the converter was replaced. This kind leak is uncommon and much more so given the large flow of oil.

How long ago was this rebuild?

Suppose it is possible the converter was re-installed improperly leading to the issue, but only a guess.

The link below has photos of the trans input shaft/oil pump seal and other trans seals. To access these seals requires removing the trans.

https://www.google.com/search?q=torq...ml%3B800%3B600

Review the top row of photos. The third photo from the left has fluid leaking out under the input shaft, a bad seal.

Once the trans is out, repairs should be straight forward.

toyomoho 06-03-2014 12:11 PM

As the cause of the leak is unknown, can't state the torque converter was installed improperly. Just that this leak is not common and more so given the low miles since rebuild. As such looking at how rebuilt, parts used, how installed, etc. Suppose possible to have a defective torque converter.

Although frustrating, assuming nothing unusual the repairs should be straight forward. Perhaps you know someone needing extra cash that can remove/install the trans cheaper. Then once out, take it back to the rebuilder for inspection and repairs. Which given how unusual the leak, they may do at a low cost.

umdaman 06-04-2014 12:20 PM

I cannot get a hold of the guy who removed my transmission. He may be out of town. My dads truck that he bought used, it's transmission blew up like 4 months after he bought it. He contacted the guy who rebuilt his, and he said he will do the job for $400. So I'm going to have him do it. So he will be able to inspect and figure out what happened. Now I don't have to haul my transmission around. I think $400 is a good deal. For sure cheaper then another used car. Last year I did the Water Pump, Timing Belt, Oil Pump cover seal myself. Engine runs great.

ALSO, I should have thought about this last time. But isn't their a REAR oil seal on my engine in the area from where the transmission is removed?

I'm wondering if I should have the guy replace that seal this time?

Thanks

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 86304)
As the cause of the leak is unknown, can't state the torque converter was installed improperly. Just that this leak is not common and more so given the low miles since rebuild. As such looking at how rebuilt, parts used, how installed, etc. Suppose possible to have a defective torque converter.

Although frustrating, assuming nothing unusual the repairs should be straight forward. Perhaps you know someone needing extra cash that can remove/install the trans cheaper. Then once out, take it back to the rebuilder for inspection and repairs. Which given how unusual the leak, they may do at a low cost.

toyomoho 06-04-2014 12:58 PM

$400 is a good price. Unless a converter issue or some other unknown, parts and repairs should be low cost.

As to the rear engine seal, leakage is rare but does happen. With trans out the replacement is easy as same type of seal as the ones you replaced, plus a low cost part. Yes, ask that the rear engine seal be replaced.

When all accomplished please post back with the results. Curious as to what part failed in the trans.

umdaman 06-05-2014 02:05 PM

I had my car towed to the mechanic last night. I talked to him this morning about the rear seal. He said he will make sure its good, but doesn't recommend changing it unless its going bad. He says they rarely fail. Just like seal on trans rarely fails right? hahah. Maybe its one of those things that if it isn't broken don't try to fix it......

I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear back from him as to what failed on my transmission.

Thanks

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 86320)
$400 is a good price. Unless a converter issue or some other unknown, parts and repairs should be low cost.

As to the rear engine seal, leakage is rare but does happen. With trans out the replacement is easy as same type of seal as the ones you replaced, plus a low cost part. Yes, ask that the rear engine seal be replaced.

When all accomplished please post back with the results. Curious as to what part failed in the trans.

umdaman 06-06-2014 10:06 AM

Mechanic just called. Says I need a new Torque converter and Transmission oil pump. He said my rear engine seal is leaking a little, so he is going to change that out. So now looking at around $800-$850 parts & labor :(... I guess its better then buying another used car which could also have problems down the road to fix. Hopefully after this I'll get another 100K out of it.

So not sure what really caused the failure, not installed properly, I don't think Pump was replaced last time. So either pump caused the problem or Torque converter, he said something like they were rubbing against each other. I got second hand information because my dad is the one that talked to him. So when I go to pick it up I'll get the full details.

toyomoho 06-06-2014 10:48 AM

Is this the same mechanic who rebuilt the trans or someone else?

Without seeing parts, can only guess. Perhaps after repairs your Dad can retrieve parts and you take pictures.

A bad pump would cause transmission operational issues as there would be low fluid pressure which is different from a leaking seal.

Suppose the pump bearings could fail or torque converter have to much run out.

Ask you Dad if any conversations of a cracked or bent flex plate. This is the plate that bolts to the crankshaft then torque converter. If cracked or bent, it could wobble too much and cause rubbing or parts. The flex plate replaces the flywheel that cars having manual transmission use.

Might also ask the shop to remove the trans pan, clean it plus replace the filter screen.

umdaman 06-06-2014 12:52 PM

I have a different mechanic working on my car now. The previous one rebuilt my dads van and my friends ford truck. Both of them had problems after rebuild. Mine was the only one working correctly. So he is now FIRED!

His response to my problem was have my guy remove the transmission and then he can take a look at it. He said he has no time to remove it. Umm ok. So not doing that again having to haul my transmission around then car has to sit it the persons shop waiting.

My car will probably be done this afternoon if he has all the parts.

I told my dad to have him save my old parts so I can take pictures. Either way I like to see OLD parts you know to make sure they were really replaced. ;)

I think the pump probably still works, but now it is the cause of the leak. I remember my dad saying something wore, like maybe the Torque converter was wearing out something on the pump and then it started leaking?

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 86333)
Is this the same mechanic who rebuilt the trans or someone else?

Without seeing parts, can only guess. Perhaps after repairs your Dad can retrieve parts and you take pictures.

A bad pump would cause transmission operational issues as there would be low fluid pressure which is different from a leaking seal.

Suppose the pump bearings could fail or torque converter have to much run out.

Ask you Dad if any conversations of a cracked or bent flex plate. This is the plate that bolts to the crankshaft then torque converter. If cracked or bent, it could wobble too much and cause rubbing or parts. The flex plate replaces the flywheel that cars having manual transmission use.

Might also ask the shop to remove the trans pan, clean it plus replace the filter screen.

toyomoho 06-06-2014 06:18 PM

Thanks for posting back. Curious also in just what failed.

umdaman 06-09-2014 11:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok here are the pictures of the Failure. He can't say 100% of what caused the failure. Either bad install or I got a bad torque converter. Curious what thoughts anyone has based on the pictures.

Because of the rubbing it wore the bushing on the Pump, that is why they had to be replaced the pump.

The mechanic also didn't like the transmission fluid that was in there, he said it seemed watery compared to what he normally uses or sees. Fluid was replaced in both differential and transmission.

He test drove it on the highway. Says the car runs great. Transmission good again. He didn't see any leaking, before the major leak it was also leaking somewhere around the differential (after rebuild).

So now I shouldn't see anymore MOTOR oil or trans fluid in my garage :):) I'm glad I got that engine rear seal replaced. Because after I fixed the engine oil pump cover seal I was still seeing a little oil dripping. I'm sure it was the rear seal.

Total was $400 Labor, and $381+tax parts.

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 86343)
Thanks for posting back. Curious also in just what failed.