General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Camry pulls left and right

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Default 1993 Camry pulls left and right

Hey, I just replaced front struts and mounts in my wife's 1993 Toyota Camry.
Alldata showed that I would need a mount/bearing/upper spring seat/upper insulator/coil/lower spring seat-strut.

The top of the strut had a boot and spring cushion or something to.
Well, the original struts had no bearing, or upper coil spring seat, just a rubber insulator between the mount and spring. I couldn't get an upper spring seat, and the bearing I got wouldn't center under the spring (it would go to the left or right on the mount.

So, replaced the struts, put everything back together, re-using the upper insulator. Took the car in to get a front allingment, because it was pulling to the left or right.

The aligment didn't work, and I noticed if you turn hard left, the car pulls left, and if you turn hard right, it pulls right.
Any ideas or advice? Also, I did a tire rotation.

There was no unusual wear on the tires

Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 PM

first thing, how was the car before you did the work?

how did the springs look?
are you sure the strut mount is set correctly? this could seriously affect the camber. the alignment shop should have given you a report showing various numbers before and after.

if everything is aligned correctly then it shouldn't be pulling. if something was wrong in the steering and suspension geometry the alignment shop should have found a problem.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM

well, let me say this. I have replaced countless struts on old, older, and newer, new Japanese vehicles. Hondas and Toyotas. I have no idea what you talking about. Please, do not feel offended, just consider me an idiot, but I simply can not picture what you describe.
Car either pulls to the right, or pulls to the left. It can't pull both ways, unless you have hub bearings shot and a ton of play in them. I call it "snaking", you drive straight, and it will go left>right>left.right.
Struts have not much to do with toe in/toe out, and that is what affects direction. Struts have much to do with camber, and that's what they align after re-install, and not even on all cars.
here's a typical Toyota strut assy. look at it and tell us what went wrong:

Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM

i think he meant memory steer, turning full left and straighten back out and it will want to pull left. then if you make a full right turn it pulls right. almost as if the rack is binding or pinion preload is too tight. thats why i asked how it was before. still though, i have to wonder why it got new struts. sure they wear and tear but could it have hit a curb? or abused on speed bumps? maybe a big pot hole?

mostly interested in seeing the tech sheet from the alignment.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 AM

possibly. your guess is as good as mine. but either way, with something that pronounced, it's a major failure in steering system, not in suspension system. or major misalignment.

now, come to think about it... if he did not have springs set right on mounting plates, they might be binding. you know how springs/shock and wheel turns on upper mounting plate with bearing. I had several gaffes when spring was not set right on the lower mount and that resulting in loud click, when it was catching on the notch edge. resulting in do-over. maybe he has that bind? or bind somewhere else along strut?