Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   1996 Camry 2.2 oil leak (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/1996-camry-2-2-oil-leak-38633/)

vincent52100 05-09-2011 02:41 PM

1996 Camry 2.2 oil leak

1 Attachment(s)
Good afternoon. I have a 1996 Camry 2.2 with 260,000 miles. It has developed a major oil leak. The last oil leak I cured by replacing the cam and crank seals. I removed the timing covers, cleaned the engine, and ran it until I could see the leak. From info on other posts I'm wondering if it could be the oil pump. I've attached a picture that shows where I believe the oil is coming from. Also, how can I tell if my engine has a cam sensor. Thanks

toyomoho 05-09-2011 08:48 PM

The oil pump would leak when the engine was running as it would be under oil pressure. It is not uncommon for the drive shaft seal to start leaking, the leak can be much worse then a cam or crank seal!

The cam sensor is located in the area of the cam pulley, it picks up a signal from the pulley teeth. There would be an electrical cable runing to it. If you have the covers off you should see it.

vincent52100 05-09-2011 09:48 PM

Thanks for the info!

vincent52100 05-09-2011 10:48 PM

Oil pump seal and o-ring replacement

I have another question, Is it necessary to remove the oil pan to replace the seal and o'ring? Is it because the pan gasket could be damaged removing the pump? I've looked for a thread that gives a somewhat detailed explanation of how to do it but couldn't find one. What would be the procedure to replace the o'ring? Thanks very much for any help.

toyomoho 05-10-2011 10:01 AM

The pump bolts to a housing bolted to the engine (much like the water pump). It is not necessary to remove the pan.

There is a preformed o-ring between the pump body and housing. Suggest replacing this, typically a dealer only part unless buying a replacement pump having the o'ring. When getting the o-ring pickup a new oil pump drive shaft seal.

When removing the pump take note of how the drive and driven rotors are fitting up. One side of the each rotor face has a spot faced dot. When reinstalling the pump, you want the dot of each rotor facing the same direction.

Place the drive rotor in a vice having soft jaws or use wood, etc to protect the gear from damage when clamping the vice up.

Remove the nut holding the drive gear on, remove drive rotor. Standard thread direction.

The drive rotor will come out from the back of pump housing.

Remove and replace the lip seal from the front of housing the same way as a cam or crank seal.

Reassemble drive rotor asy, torque nut 18 ft-lbs.

Install o-ring in groove of housing, mate up pump body to housing and install bolts. 7.8 in-lbs. Be careful when mounting the pump that the o-ring does not slip out of the grove.

vincent52100 05-10-2011 10:34 AM

Thanks very much!