Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   1998 2.2L needs new computer (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/1998-2-2l-needs-new-computer-52899/)

yurevn 06-15-2019 12:27 PM

1998 2.2L needs new computer

Car had a problem starting, would finally start after cranking over several times. No codes or CEL. I replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, Camshaft position sensor, crank position sensor. Still having the same problem.
So I took it to a mechanic. He tells me there is a problem getting ground to the coil from the computer. Says it needs a new computer, he ordered a used computer and put it in, now the car will not start at all. He put all the original parts back in, still wont start. He thinks the used computer he installed needs to be re- flashed. But the local Toyota dealer says it cant be re-flashed. Nobody seems to have a new computer for a vehicle as old as mine. Does anyone know of a place that can re-flash a computer, rebuild my computer, or supply me with a new computer.
I am at a loss as what to do with the car, the mechanic seems to have given up on it. It has been a great little work car up to this point. Hate to just get rid of it if it can be fixed.

toyomoho 06-15-2019 02:08 PM

Where is the car now and can you work on it yourself?

Have you checked for ign spark at the plugs when cranking?

Does the car have a Toyota immobiliser anti-theft system? This system turns off the ign unless the correct master key is used.

yurevn 06-26-2019 09:01 PM

The car is at the local Toyota dealer, they programed a used ecu for the car. However this did not fix the problem. They also cannot figure out the problem, and are a lot more expensive to have throw parts at the car. I can work on the car myself most of the time, however this has me stumped, a small mechanic shop stumped, and my local Toyota dealer stumped. Also it doesn't have an immobilizer and I have been using the same key for years. It does have an aftermarket remote starter/keyless entry, but that was taken out to rule a problem with it out. I just don't know what else to do with it. It stores a code for the crank pos. sensor but no check engine light. The small shop mechanic and the dealer said there is crank and cam pos sensor signal going into the computer but the coil is not grounding to create spark which is controlled by the computer.
If the coils are grounded by an external means ( I would assume just grounding them to something on the car) it starts right up. But this will not work because its not timed to spark at the right time, it just has spark all the time.
I was reading about a similar situation on justask.com but it doesn't show a resolution to the issue, apparently they guy just gave up on it.

toyomoho 06-26-2019 09:49 PM

Have you checked for ign spark when cranking and no start?

Is this a pending code for the crank sensor?

Does the car have coil packs?