Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   1998 Camry CE torque (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/1998-camry-ce-torque-1706/)

gslrider 05-20-2007 11:49 PM

1998 Camry CE torque

Hi all, this is my first import. I've had a Pontiac Tempest LE V6, Ford Cougar V8, and a Monte Carlo V6. When I first bought the car I thought that it was a V6, after reading more about the 98 Camry, to my surprise I realized mine is only a V4 engine. I've driven cars with V4 engines before, and none of them showed the power my CE has. Hence why I thought it was a V6? The VIN confirms that my CE is indeed a V4.

Is this typical for the V4 engine on a Camry? To have the torque and speed of some V6 cars? Or could have the engine been modified somehow (I bought the car used, and no info was given on modification, CarFax record is clean)? No complaints, just curious about the CE's power. If indeed it is a V4, it's a very impressive V4.

OnE_To_HatE 05-21-2007 12:32 AM

RE: 1998 Camry CE torque

wow! that is definetly a first i've heard something good comming from a 5s-fe driver. Aside from the usual "great mileage". LOL. IdK dude- our cars are ridiculously underpowered but the tranny acts like it has 5lbs. of boost on take offs if you're racing- but aside from that.. . the 133hp/145tq isn't much to work with in the long run.

gslrider 05-21-2007 01:53 AM

Really? Could've fooled me. Maybe I haven't driven enough V4 imports. The 99 Protege and 98 Civic that I test drove before this one had nothing off the start, but the speed did kick in after it got going at 18.6mph/30kmh.

So do you mean it just feels like there's alot of torque off the start? Or the Camry CE is pretty peppy off the line, but it just doesn't have the speed to push in the long run?

Definitely not a muscle car, but it sure does the job for me when I need to beat someone off the line. And enough juice overtaking a slower driver on the highway. Haven't really taken it pass 74.5mph/120kmh. It still had more kick and power then my old 2.8L V6 Tempest/Corsica. I'm more of a front end speed guy, then back end anyway.

camry313 05-21-2007 04:42 AM

well ... am happy to hear that from a 5sfe as i have that same engine on my car ... go through the forums &checkout what mods the guys made & what they reccommend ... am in a process of doing little mods to my car as well :)

all the best & enjoy ur ride [sm=smiley20.gif]

lavalleemike 05-21-2007 08:37 AM

First of all there is no such thing as a V4. There is no V shape in the way that the cylinders are placed in the engine. If you notice there are V6 and V8 because there are 3 and 4 cylinders on each side respectivly shaped like a V just a little insight.

OnE_To_HatE 05-21-2007 09:04 AM

^ He's right- most 4's are inline but for our cars- they say its an L4 which i have no idea why.

gslrider 05-21-2007 12:19 PM

Ah, makes sense with the "L4" tag. Does this make a difference in the amount of torque it's pushing, compared to V4 engines?

nodrogkam 05-21-2007 09:35 PM

LOL L4? what the heck guys...c'mon now...Its called an I4 for Inline 4 cylinder. V4's have existed, but for reasons i will not get into, are no longer mass produced.
The 98 i4 is actually not bad, but if you're impressed with that, you obviously havent driven the v6. Unless you've got real real good tires, you can always break traction from the start.

But im glad you're happy with it.

trd_camry 05-21-2007 10:35 PM

A V4 engine is a V form engine with four cylinders.
Lancia produced several narrow-angle V4 engines from the 1920s through 1960s for cars like the Lambda, Augusta, Artena, Aprilia, Ardea, Appia, and Fulvia. These were a spiritual predecessor for Volkswagen's VR6 family.
The Ford of Europe produced two totally different V4 engines with a balance shaft, one in the UK and one in Germany:
[ul][*]The British Ford Essex V4 engine[*]The German Ford Taunus V4 engine (also used by Saab) [/ul]
The Ukrainian manufacturer ZAZ also used air cooled V4s with a balance shaft, produced by MeMZ and used in Zaporozhets cars.
V4 engines are also sometimes found in motorcycles, for instance the
[ul][*]Ducati Desmosedici[*]Honda RC212V[*]Honda VF and VFR[*]Honda Magna[*]Honda ST series (Pan European)[*]Yamaha VMax[*]Yamaha YZR500 [/ul]
One other large use of the V4 engine is in outboard motors. They are two stroke cycle and generally carbureted. Some manufacturers are Johnson, Evinrude and Yamaha. This type of engines is popular because of their small size, while still allowing 140+ horsepower.
A common mistake is to refer to the much more common inline 4 as a V4.

trd_camry 05-21-2007 10:38 PM

haha. a little wiki quote ., but yeah V4 isnt common , but to say it never or doesnt exist is a misstatement , . just call it a 4 cyclinder . becuase an I4 would run straight(i.ehonda s2000) and a L4 would run sideways
camry = http://www.samarins.com/reviews/camry_engine03.jpg