General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 camry LE won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Default 1998 camry LE won't start

Hello guys,

I have a 1998 Camry LE and a few month ago the oil light started flashing. i come to realize that there was alot of sludge built up in the top of the engine proventing oil from getting up to the cam shaft. So, i took off the cover and pulled the front (exhaust?) cam out to clean up all the sludge and clear things up. I did remember to mach up the 2 red lines on the cam and i also made my own marks to where the cam position is so i know i put it back in right..

Now the car will turn over but, will not start......

I did confirm that i do have fuel to the engine, i have really good spark, and i also have oil coming to the top of the engine. so, my question is anyone have any ideas why its not starting or what to check/do?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you recheck the cam and crank timing, you might have made a mistake.

The autozone website should have photos and info on setting this up.

If the oil pressure light is flashing suggest connecting a gauge in place of the oil pressure switch. The switch typically is designed to turn on with pressures less then 5 psi.

The switch could also be bad.

One other issue is sludge could have built up on the oil pump intake screen inside the oil pan. This would reduce oil flow rates and pressure.