General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camry AC Compressor Pulley Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Default 2000 Camry AC Compressor Pulley Problem

On my 2000 4 cylinder toyota camry, the ac compressor pulley slides out and hits the car frame. When it is in, the ac works fine, when out, it doesn't. I can push it in and it will go a few days and run fine.

I can feel a hole in the middle of the pulley, so I suspect a bolt is missing. Is there a bolt missing, that I can replace, or do I need to take it to the shop? (I am somewhat mechanical)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amy B.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Camry AC Compressor Pulley Problem-ac-pulley.jpg  
Old 05-29-2009, 05:54 AM

There should be a bolt. I'd go to a Toyo dealer and get the parts guy to get show you the parts exploded view, you may may need a washer as well. Did you ever have work done on the compressor? If so the bolt may not have been torqued properly. Get the dealer to install at the correct torque - it won't cost that much ---- UNLESS the compressor needs to be unbolted to clear the frame in order to get the bolt in. You may want to do that much labor yourself and then get Toyo to torque it. There's no need to disconnect the A/C lines to unbolt the compressor and move it enough to get the bolt in.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:30 PM

Got a 99 camry same thing happened to me bolt came out of the pulley. I have a 6mm x 1.0 pitch bolt but not sure if this is a special bolt or not (reverse thread, special washer etc?) what type of bolt do I need for the ac compressor clutch? Luckily my fenderwell stopped the pulleys from falling off on the road. Originally my belt kicked off cuz the pulley lost the bolt and i have been enduring the summer working 16 hours a day driving with a $9 ac delete belt to drive the alternator. I couldn't get a 6mm x 1.0 pitch bolt to thread in i am afraid to force it in if its reverse thread. Im just assuming the thread is a little rough thats why I can't get a metric bolt to go in but i don't want to **** my compressors threads up. It has a clockwise rotation. Just wondering if anyone knows what bolt is needed thanks.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thee manual has NO reference to the bolt being LH thread.

Did the original bolt break off?

There are clutch installation kits that have the bolt.

Santech/A/C Comp Clutch Installation Kit MT0985- ReadReviews onSantech #MT0985

Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 AM

Awesome i will take it back apart and run my tap thru it. The clutch pulley bearing is still smooth i will pack it with moly overview the kit the blowout oem schematic for the assembly to see if i lost any other parts besides the bolt. I disconnected the ac bolts and shifted the ac compressor forward so i could get the pulleys out because they were wedged between the fenderwell subframe and i didn't notice if the bolt was broken in it. I could see the thread and it didn't look too rough i just didn't want to tap it or thread a bolt in yet.
EDIT: Bolt head was sheared off and some of the bolt was still threaded in.

Last edited by Erick561; 03-16-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 AM
Default Same issue with 2000 Camry AC pulley

I have same issue as above 2 posters. Pulley sliding off causing AC to not work. I can push it in with a stick and it works. So either bolt fell off or sheared off. No one worked on the compressor ever.

How difficult and what kind of bolt is needed. In case the bolt is sheared any suggestions on getting it out are appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Check for a bolt that screws into the compressor driveshaft to hold on the pressure plate.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:20 PM
Talking It needs a 6 X 1 mm bolt and some red loctite

Originally Posted by Erick561
Got a 99 camry same thing happened to me bolt came out of the pulley. I have a 6mm x 1.0 pitch bolt but not sure if this is a special bolt or not (reverse thread, special washer etc?) what type of bolt do I need for the ac compressor clutch? Luckily my fenderwell stopped the pulleys from falling off on the road. Originally my belt kicked off cuz the pulley lost the bolt and i have been enduring the summer working 16 hours a day driving with a $9 ac delete belt to drive the alternator. I couldn't get a 6mm x 1.0 pitch bolt to thread in i am afraid to force it in if its reverse thread. Im just assuming the thread is a little rough thats why I can't get a metric bolt to go in but i don't want to **** my compressors threads up. It has a clockwise rotation. Just wondering if anyone knows what bolt is needed thanks.
Unless you have a house elf with really small hands you'll need to loosen the a.c. compresor (three 12mm bolts retorque @34ft lbs) remove the water inlet, oil filter, and dipstick. Loosen the alternator and remove the belt, push it up and tighten it down Remove the battery ground.
Then you should be able to reinstall the retainer bolt. it's torqued down to about !0ft lbs, I would suggest using red loctite on it.
If you have a spare pair of hands available, I would run a thread chaser down the hole. which is drilled into the output shaft of the compressor.
It is indeed a 6 X 1 X3/4's. A little washer is always a good idea