General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Camry starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Default 2000 Camry starting problem.

Please see full post under DYI. Basically the car is not turning over, slight sound near exterior fuse box when turning key to on position. Lights n dash work and interior dome light. All fuses were checked. Wires from battery to alternator replaced and grounded. Tried new starter relay and car still won't start. New starter installed less than a year ago. Key FB works and unlocks doors. Disconnected anti theft system and still car is not starting. Car s 4 cylinder. Any help would be appreciated

Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 PM

Same Car Same problem! Parked car for extended period. Today had Starter Tested, installed New Battery, and new Starter Relay. Everything inside works good. Turn the Key and Zip Nadda!! This car has less than 50k miles and had no starting issues prior to being parked. Looks like a relay is missing on the box on the side of the Battery? Replacing Battery Terminals next, but they appear in Good Condition. Try shifting to Nuetral, no help. Does this car have an external Solenoid? How can I bypass to see if the Starter is Working to test a wiring issue? Please Help.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Dash indicator, dome, head lights, etc. work?

The ign switch circuit for engaging the starter solenoid has a relay in addition to the Park/Neutral switch.

Use a volt meter or test light to determine if the SMALL electrical terminal on the starter solenoid is powered when the ign switch is turned to start.

You checked all fuses including fusible links?

Old 04-27-2017, 01:06 AM

Everything inside the car appears to be working, ac fan, lights, brake lights, stereo. Are you talking about that little clip on the starter? That is supposed to be energized when I turn the key on? I bought a Meter last night, hope to check the starter Connections tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

If everything works other then the starter, this is good.

Yes, the little clip on the starter having the SMALL diameter wire. This SMALL wire might be black/red in color.

There is another LARGE diameter wire (cable of perhaps same color) going to the starter. This cable powers the starter motor. It comes directly from the battery and is always HOT! as in always having 12V. Don't ground the terminal this wire is connected to the engine, etc.

To engage the starter motor.

When the ign key is turned to start. 12V runs from the ign key switch to a 5 amp Starter fuse (located in fuse panel behind driver's side of dash). Then to the Park/Neutral or Clutch safety switch. Then to the solenoid of the Starter relay (a small relay located in engine compartment relay box). Then to ground.

When the Starter relay solenoid receives 12v power it closes a switch inside this relay. This switch then routes power from the 40A Main fusible link (in same box as starter relay) to the small wire (the clip) at the starter motor.

A fusible link is a large size and large amp fuse that is bolted into the wiring (you can't just pull it out). There is a small window in the fuse to allow viewing the fuse element to determine if it is intact.

If you check for 12v at the clip when the ign switch is held to start and find 0V there is problem.

Check the fuses and relay identified above. It has also happened that the Park/Neutral or Clutch safety switch fails.

FYI, the starter motor has something called a starter solenoid bolted to it. The starter solenoid is a large electrical switch and solenoid. The solenoid is designed to not only close the electrical switch but move the drive end of the starter into the ring gear of the engine.

When the relay of the starter solenoid receives 12V from the small diameter wire attached to it (the clip). It powers the starter solenoid. This moves the drive end gear of the motor into the flywheel ring gear of the engine and at the same time closes a switch to allow power to go from the large diameter cable to the starter motor.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Default No voltage

Ok, so in the dark I managed to pull the plug off the Starter and it's not showing any Voltage when we try to start the Car.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

No voltage at the wire?

Check the Starter fuse, 40A main fuse, Starter relay.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
No voltage at the wire?

Check the Starter fuse, 40A main fuse, Starter relay.
As I stated in my first post I already replaced the Starter Relay $30. Today I installed new Positive Terminal. We have no clicks with starter fuse removed. It only clicks in Neutral or Park. Is there Another Starter Relay somewhere else? Everything appears to be working except the Starter will not Hit??? We also tried switching with other Starter Relays to see if I got a bad one. We jumped the #30 & #87 no results. Are those the correct ones to jump? It's just about impossible to reach on the back side of starter, but I guess I need to see if the BATT HOT WIRE IS HOT THERE? This is frustrating. Its there a chance I should just change the Lead from the BATT to the STARTER?

Old 04-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Ok, I just jumped the starter wire and the Car starts normally. So everything is working except the Starter is not getting the signal to start the car.

Last edited by Phoeniceltic; 04-29-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 PM

if starter works

is the batterys positive terminal wire at the battery to starter cable terminal
sound and sending 12 volts to starter

could be corroded in the battery terminal

try a new brass battery terminal and clean the wires up

Quick Reply: 2000 Camry starting problem.