General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Camry Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Default 2001 Camry Steering problem

Bit of a long winded problem here, but hoping for some advice.

The steering in my 2001Camry had been inconsistent for about a month - some days it was very tight, some days normal. I decided to take it into a garage and they suggested it would be a Rack and Pinion Job, which would be about $800 with labour and may still require looking at the PS Pump.

I decided to take it to a colleagues garage and they concluded it could just be the Knuckle, as it was completely seized up and not swiveling as it should. The Knuckle cost 400 (!) dollars and I was hoping I was on my way.

Took it home that night and noticed it was still very tight taking sharp turns and there was almost a wheezing noise in the steering wheel when taking sharp turns. I went back the next day and they decided to replace the PS Pump as well, which cost me another 400 dollars.

I left the garage and did a little test drive - when pulling in/backing out of driveways it was still very tight so I went right back into the garage and asked them fixing the Pump was going to solve the problem. They said to give it a few days to let the PS fluid run through the system - if there is no improvement it could be the Rack and Pinion

It's been a few days - the car steers pretty smooth for normal driving, but when I have to do a 3 point turn or turn very sharply it is still very stiff.

I only plan on driving the car for about another 6 months and would not like to put any more money into it if I don't have to.

Does it look to anyone that the Rack is indeed the issue?

If left unfixed, besides the bit of stiff steering, is it a safety hazard?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the steering wheel fully one way then the other a few times to get the air out of the system.

Any looseness in the steering, does the car wonder, and fluid leaking from the boot at each side of the steering rack column, does the steering recenter after a turn, what does the power steering look like, pink, dark, etc?

Baring no excess play in the steering (which can have many causes) you should be able to drive the car safely unless the condition worsens to a point you can not steer.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks!

Question though, before the first time I took it in and had the Knuckle replaced I would never hear the air hissing out of the system when turning it but after I had it in that first time I could. Can I assume the mechanic may have done something to make that happen?

The steering does feel pretty normal (not loose) and the wheel does recenter itself after a turn, it may be a degree or two off mind you but I think it was like that before.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Are you talking about the U-joint (knuckle) at the bottom of the steering column that is inside the engine compartment?

Replacing the pump requires taking apart the hydraulic system. This allows air and into the system which may be producing the noise. Turning the steering wheel stop to stop gets the air out.

The knuckle (or U-joint) is exterior to the hydraulic system, no need to take it apart.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are you talking about the U-joint (knuckle) at the bottom of the steering column that is inside the engine compartment?

Replacing the pump requires taking apart the hydraulic system. This allows air and into the system which may be producing the noise. Turning the steering wheel stop to stop gets the air out.

The knuckle (or U-joint) is exterior to the hydraulic system, no need to take it apart.
They called it the Knuckle so I am assuming it is what you are describing, it's at the bottom of the steering column.

Thanks again for all of the information.