Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   2002 Camry LE - How to tell if I have certain options installed (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/2002-camry-le-how-tell-if-i-have-certain-options-installed-52207/)

Emperor 04-08-2018 05:28 AM

2002 Camry LE - How to tell if I have certain options installed

Hello all,
I recently bought a used 2002 Camry LE with 114,000 miles on it. Although this was the base model, this particular car came equipped with several obvious options. It has a optional factory spoiler, alloy wheels, the optional 4 speed automatic transmission, remote keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror, compass, power driver seat control and prob a few I’m forgetting (prob some audio stuff etc). However I am kind of a Camry noob and not a mechanic so I was hoping some of you might be able to tell me how to look for and/or see if I have several of the options that aren’t so obvious. I bought it sort of quickly as they don’t last long where I am (a day or two when they come up for sale.). And again, sorry if some of this makes me sound stupid or is trivial to some of you. How do I look for or know if I have these options:

1. ABS/4 - wheel ABS and if so, ABS channels
2. Transmission electronic control
3. Transmission oil cooler
4. Transmission lock-up torque converter
5. Wheel locks
6. How to tell simulated wood from genuine wood panels
7. How to tell if the speakers are JBLs (would there be a badge visible on the outside of them if they were?)

BONUS: Any regular maintenance tips for a 2002 Camry with 114K that I should be aware of or check for? Apparently it sat in a garage every winter an has only had 14K miles driven on it since 2005. The other 100K was put on between 2002-2005.

BONUS #2: I there anything in particular about the 2002 model that makes it a good/bad choice?

P.S. Not sure if anyone cares, but it is rust free with clean cloth rip/tear-free interior, one golf ball size driver door dent, silver(ish) paint (not sure of the factory color name), no accidents - clean title, I will be the third owner (last elderly gentleman hardly drove it as I said above - First owner put on roughly 100K) and I paid $3,300. Hope I did ok for being in upper Michigan,...where everyone of course thinks that all used Toyota’s and Honda’s should come at a premium.

Thanks! Glad to find this forum!

toyomoho 04-08-2018 11:37 AM

Welcome to CF. Congrats on your purchase.

Find the owner's manual. If the car doesn't have one, download from the Toyota website.

The manual will have info on all options and usage. If the car has an option, you can find it via the manual.

Turn on ign key. If ABS, there will be an illuminated dash icon having "ABS" or such. The ABS would be located in the engine compartment, passengers side. A valve body with lots of small brake lines connected to it.

All trans are electronic control, have a lockup converter and oil cooler.

Look at the wheel lugs bolts. A wheel lock bolt has no hex head for a wrench or socket. If having a lock bolt, find the key for it!

All panels are plastic.

Check owner's manual for stereo options and compare with what you have. The optional high end stereo had a JBL system.

No rust?

Are you going to DIY in maintenance? Pickup a Haynes or other service manual. Search Ebay for factory manuals.

Change oil/filter. Suggest using only synthetic!

Change coolant. When changing coolant, check hoses for condition from age.

Change all trans fluid/filter. Don't flush the trans or add chemicals. Just replace the old fluid with new. The internet should have info on doing a complete trans fluid change.

Change the power steering fluid. Do this by removing the fluid in the PS reservoir and adding new. Repeat this between drives until the fluid is clear.

Make sure the A/C works. Seals can harden and the Freon leak out if the A/C is not used over time.

Check tires for cracking due to age.

Is this a 4 cylinder engine? If so, this engine can suffer from excess oil consumption. This do to plugging of the oil ring oil return holes in the piston. Using synthetic and changing it at 5K can help prevent plugging.

The engine can also suffer from head bolt thread failure in the block. Keep an eye on the coolant level. Dropping coolant level is a sign of head bolt (head gasket) failure.

The V6 has no such issues.

Emperor 04-08-2018 04:00 PM

Yes it is amazingly rust free,.. including underneath. If it does have any I can’t readily see it. Also it does have the 4 cylinder. Didn’t know about those issues but will be aware now, thank you. My reasoning for buying the inline 4 was that I actually read the v6 had more issues (albeit apparently not the same ones you mentioned). Is this true? Also figured it had significantly better gas mileage. Thanks for you response! Definitely beats researching for 3 days. I will invest in the repair manuals you mentioned because I’m hoping to do most of the work myself less vacuum leaks computer probs etc,..will also be looking for those options today based off your instructions so thank you!

Oh and the a/c is also amazingly ice cold and functioning properly. So that’s good. But the steering is a little stiff so hoping its just old gummed up fluid ( because it gets better as it warms up - thinner viscosity?) So I’m hoping the power steering fluid change you mentioned works for it (and I hope I don’t have to go to the dealership to find the correct recommended fluid). It also came with new tires and brakes ( no corrosion whatsoever when looking into the wheels, nice black calipers etc.). So another huge plus.

Also can the head bolts just be switched out or is that a huge job? I.e. before the gasket would have to be changed because I know that IS a huge job. Unless of course once the bolts are being switched access to the gasket is simple anyway,...

toyomoho 04-08-2018 07:36 PM

The V-6 is an improved version of the previous years V-6 engine. It's more reliable then the 4 cylinder. However not all 4 cylinders had problems.

Try to determine if the steering U-joints are stiff. The PS should use the same fluid as the trans. Check owners manual.

The issue is the block is aluminum. The threads in the block fail. Not all engines have problems.

tgaetto 04-09-2018 07:22 PM

I’ll be watching this closely, I just grabbed up an LE too extremely clean 1 owner. Regular maintenance documented. I have an issue but will start a thread as not to hi-jack!