General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Camry SE V6 Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Default 2002 Camry SE V6 Transmission ?

Hi -- I'm a newbie from Oregon

My husband and I purchased our Camry new and it has aprox 70,000. To date we have had only wear and tear maintenance on it. I've recently had 2 different odd happenings. We're hoping someone has some ideas to take the the mechanic, as we can't seem to replicate these things on command.

1- twice now I have been approching stops and the car just quits, no shimmy no shake no noise. I'm unable to restart for a bit. Both times I called my husband he was going to come after me and within 10-15min I was able to restart no issues. (we had a new battery installed between these events)

2- This issue has me more concerned (it will be going to the shop next week) About 5 months ago I went to leave our driveway and my car would not go into reverse or neutral. It starts up fine locks doors as always but car would not move (brakes were off) I checked the transmission fluid and it was within it's range. Turned the car off and called my dad (husband was unavailable). I went back to the car and was talking my dad through the problem and it would go into drive, 1, and 2 just not into reverse or neutral. Upon shifting from 2 I stopped at neutral on the way back up to park and the car rolled, then I tried reverse and it went into reverse finally. Took it in at that time and the transmission guy couldn't replicate the problem and said the transmission seemed sound. I have driven with a scan gauge plugged in since and it has not thrown a code. I have now experienced this several more times with no known pattern (flat, sloped, cold, hot....) Just yesterday I pulled out of a parking spot and it didn't really seem to want to go into reverse again, but it did in a shakey way. (car didn't feel like it was going to quit but shook some)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Erica