General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

first you say it then you do it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Default first you say it then you do it.

i was driving down the road in my 96 camry with a 2200 motor and it started pinging. thought it was low on oil but it wasn't so i went on down the road and it was running smooth with a ping every now and then. when all of a sudden it stopped,gave it gas and the engine was dead. tried to start it and all i got was a clunk and a bunch of water on the ground. i think the water pump went bad and took the timing belt with it,but it never overheated,so i am confused the engine has 235,000 miles on it.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

The engine does not turn over when the starter is engaged?

Find out where the water is leaking from in the engine.

The water pump is towards the radiator on the passenger of the engine.

If the timing belt breaks it should not damage the engine. The engine should still be able to turn over but will of course not start.

If the engine will not turn over. Park the car where you can work on it for time. Remove the spark plugs. Lift side of car (safely) and remove front passenger tire to allow access to the crankshaft pulley bolt. Attempt to rotate pulley CW using the bolt.
If the the engine is OK the crank should easily be able to be rotated 360 degrees.