General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Toyota Camry SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Default 2002 Toyota Camry SE

I recently picked up a 2002 toyota camry SE with 177,000 miles from a friend. I just replaced the battery but the car does not turn over what so ever. Everything turns on inside the car lights horn... etc but does not turn over. The car doesn't even click and I tried starting it neutral etc..
can someone help me where to start cause I am guessing starter but I could really use some help. The ignition switch seems to be working. Please help me!!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

If the starter worked before the battery change and not after check the battery cable terminals, battery cable connections to the battery, battery ground wire connection, connections at the starter solenoid.

The starter motor system has its own electrical cable running off the battery terminal, separate from the lights, horn, etc.

The ign switch is 2 switches in one, one switch powers the starter system.

Find the starter motor. A large dia electrical cable runs from the battery and bolts to a terminal on the starter solenoid switch. The other other terminal of the solenoid switch connects to the starter motor.

The solenoid is an electrical switch the controls power to the starter motor. When the solenoid is powered, the switch is closed and power runs from the battery through the switch to the starter.

There is also a small wire that connects to the solenoid, this wire connects by a clip.

The small wire is connected to the cars ign system switch system. When the ign switch is turned to start, 12V is applied to the solenoid and energizes its to close the switch. With the switch closed power runs from the battery to the starter motor.

12V from the battery should be available where the battery cable bolts to the solenoid.

When the ign switch is turned to start 12V should be at the small wire connected to the solenoid to power it. The solenoid when powered should make some kind of noise even if the stater motor does not turn.