Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   2003 Camry overheating after cooling system maint. (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/2003-camry-overheating-after-cooling-system-maint-52769/)

Batoven 03-30-2019 10:09 AM

2003 Camry overheating after cooling system maint.

Greetings all. New to the forum but not to the Camry! Here my issue:

2003 Camry XLE 2.4 engine
304K (yes 304 THOUSAND miles ) on it.
Started to have overheating issue so I replaced water pump, upper and lower hoses, and thermostat. OEM parts, OEM coolant on refill and purged correctly.
Now it'll run at proper temp all day long on the back roads, to the store etc... I get on the freeway, and it's fine for 45 min at 70 mph, then the temp gauge spikes, goes to normal, spikes, goes to normal, then spikes and stays there. I'll pull over and its HOT. There's no coolant in the oil but the expansion bottle is FULL and smells like exhaust/burnt oil and has a oily film. Head Gasket perhaps?

toyomoho 03-30-2019 10:55 AM

What engine type, V-6 or 4-cylinder?

Batoven 03-31-2019 01:03 PM

It's the 2.4. It's a four cylinder.

toyomoho 03-31-2019 05:02 PM

Yes, may be a head gasket.

Unfortunately this 4 cylinder engine engine (model 2AZFE) is known for having a problem with the head bolt threads in the block. The issue being a few of the threaded block holes fail but not all. The bolts then lose their clamp up force. This causes failure of the head gasket which can cause overheating issues.

There is a GREAT deal of info on this problem on the internet and at this site. Search the net under "2AZ-FE head bolt issue" for starters. The problem effects 2002-2006 2AZFE engines.

Toyota is aware of the issue.

One can try to guess if this is the problem (blown head gasket a result) or conduct a "block test" to check for exhaust gases in the coolant. The internet has information the test. The tester is sold in kit at well stocked auto parts stores or online for around $50.

Have you been needing to add coolant?

If possible, reach around the back of the block (engine cold of course). This for a foam type heat shield that protects the plastic intake manifold from heat. Has happened if the engine is leaking coolant, this foam will be wet in one area.

Can also do a compression test but this can be inconclusive.

There is a fix which involves drilling out the old threads and installing an insert. It has become a common DIY fix and aftermarket kits are available with all the tools and inserts for this specific engine.

Batoven 04-01-2019 09:44 AM

Yep. Head gasket.

That foam is wet and soft on the driver side rear corner. It’s the head gasket. No shame to it though for as many miles as on it. A trusty steed it’s been. Not going to fix it. Maybe get a good used engine and swap it out. Thanks for the reply and advice.

toyomoho 04-01-2019 10:58 AM

Understand looking at a used engine.

One other issue with this engine is excessive oil consumption apparently due to the piston oil control ring holes carboning up.

Read up on 2AZFE oil consumption. As with the head bolt issue there is LOT's of info.

Toyota even had an extended warranty fix but forgot what the limits are on car mileage and year to qualify. The fix is new pistons. Lack of oil changes and not using synthetic may have contributed to this.

It appears block repair thread kits are now going for around $440 or cheaper if you shop used. The issue being a used engine of this year may have issues to.