General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Camry XLE 150,000mi. 2.4L--Struts & Tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Default 2003 Camry XLE 150,000mi. 2.4L--Struts & Tire questions

Hello wonderful Forum, You have been so helpful in the past.
Now I've got this...
The rear struts need replacing. The question is about the tires, and about driving long distance.
Learned the rear tires are "cupping"etc. from struts problem. (you can hear a not too loud groan sound especially when making turns. Checked wheel bearings--not problem.) But learned about struts after an oil change with tire rotation. So those rear damaging tires are on the front of car when I learned this. I need time to save $ to replace rear struts. I also have a vacation in another state to go to.
It is 3 weeks since tire rotation and I decided to rotate them back so that the damaging tires (with plenty of tread on them-- 2 1/2 yrs old) are in the back again, and the "good" tires have returned to the front. I want to save the good tires for when I need to replace the damaging ones. WAS THAT A GOOD IDEA TO ROTATE THEM BACK to save those front tires, and would only need to replace damaged ones?
Another: Is it dangerous or really damaging to drive with the failing rear struts on the tires and the car? And to drive such long distance for vacation, with highways? (Boston to way upstate NY and back)

THank you in advance!
Massachusetts

Old 08-02-2016, 04:19 AM

worn Cv joints growl

Boston to way upstate NY ..google earth say 5 hours one way

until you fit new rear struts ..dont wear out good tires or spare tyre

put the cheapest chinese made tires you can find.... on the back

keep the best two tires on the front at all times

shop around for a price to fit new struts ..
if the springs are still ok .. you can reuse the springs (spring compression tool )

this is the job

Last edited by dirty hands; 08-02-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

If the tires are cupped but otherwise Ok, might leave then on the suspected bad struts.

Worn struts can be unsafe but not typically.

Check out the grown as in from the front or back.

In the future you might learn to DIY and save big bucks. You most likely will be able to buy a complete strut assy with spring and upper strut mount for less then the cost of a shop to replace it. Struts are big money makers for shops.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 AM

Thank you both. Very good info. So I guess I'm comfortable to drive long distance for one trip later this week. Hope to change struts maybe within this month.
And wow, great video. But toyo, you overestimate me. I cannot do this work.

I know it is the rear struts from 2 different mechanics, and they drove the car with me. It's difficult to tell where the "groan" sounds come from, rear or front. But the sound seems to have shifted from front to back because I did re-rotate the tires back last week after the original rotation was done few weeks ago (with an oil change). So I've got the damaging tires on the rear again and will leave them there until struts are changed. And the good tires will stay in front for now.

I really appreciate your info. Thank you so much again.
Enjoy rest of summer!

Massachusetts