General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Toyota Camry "cataclysmic " converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Unhappy 2003 Toyota Camry "cataclysmic " converter

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry which I just bought used. It has 121k miles in it. The person who sold me the car did not tell me any problems with the car . I test drove the car and all works great. About 10 miles later after I bought the car check engine light went on. Took it to the shop and they gave me the terrible news . My cat converter is bad and need to be replaced. They said I could spend well over $2k for OEM replacement and that there are no aftermarkets available online that is legal in California (which is where I live). Now I am noticing very poor gas mileage. I read somewhere that the poor gas mileage could be an effect of the bad cat converter. Also some leak is showing under the engine. Dont know if it's exhaust leak. I really dont know anything about cars.

My questions
1. if I replace the bad cat converter with an aftermarket one will it fix the problem on the car's poor mpg? I can have a cousin from out of state ship me the cat. converter that is 'not legal in California'.... CA sucks!!
2. how about smog? will it pass?
3. how much $$ am I looking at for 'good' replacements?
4. what's the life on these replacement cat. converters?
5. how do you detect bad cat. converters without taking them to the shop? Im thinking of selling this camry and just buy another one

any help will be MUCH appreciated
Thanks

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

An aftermarket CAT of decent quality should work but these are not approved by CARB. A "legit" shop will not install it.

The Rockauto website has a good selection with prices on non-CA CAT's.

Note: if so for some reason the inspection station inspects the aftermarket CAT and finds it is not approved they can refuse to do the test.

The Toyota CA/complete exhaust system was at one time around $1200, call a few dealers. "Toyota Parts" | "Toyota Accessories" | 1stToyotaParts.com is a online Toyota dealer selling discount parts. If calling identify yourself as a internet customer to receive the disounts.

The life of an aftermarket CAT depends on its size and quality. These tend to be undersized to save money. To increase chances of a longer life use a decent quality aftermarket CAT. The Toyota CAT is sized for the job and typically of very good quality.

To detect a bad CAT, ideally the shop would test the exhaust gas before and after the CAT and look for reduced emissions (typically N0x).

Suggest you find out what the trouble codes found were. Typical codes associated with a bad CAT are P0420 and P0430. This stated the cars computer system does not directly test the CAT but gives an indirect indicition of performance. In some cases the problem is a A/F or 02 sensor.

A plugged CAT (rare) can cause engine problems. The shop can install a manifold gauge (vacuum gauge) and based on its indictions tell if the exhaust system is plugged up. You can buy a gauge and test it yourself, the internet if full of posts on testing for a plugged exhaust system.

You can't test exhaust gas emissions without a tester.

A hole in the exhaust system can cause emissions problems, check for this.

A more common issue is a bad A/F or 02 sensor leading to poor MPG.

This is another reason to get any troublecodes as these sensors are are also monitored by the computer. Check for sensor trouble codes.

If you had a diagnositic tool that provided real time output you can connect to the ODBII port and watch the sensor operation. Having the service data (available if you poke around the internet) you can then determine if the sensors are working OK, the fuel ratio is OK, etc. If everything is OK but the emission is high (typically N02 for a bad CAT), then the problem is most likely the CAT.

Last edited by toyomoho; 05-03-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:10 PM

toyomoho ^^^ knows more than anyone else here ---

Originally Posted by camryarch

I really dont know anything about cars.

Im thinking of selling this camry and just buy another one
You've been had. Feel for you. The prior owner 'got the codes cleared' at the auto parts store so he could sell it, imo.

Do yourself a favor and move on. Again, just my opinion.
Bet next time you'll be evaluating the seller in addition to the car ...

Also, some shops up here (small city in PNW) will do a car purchase mechanical evaluation for cheap$, you could ask the owner to pay for it
since he'd then have the paperwork on it even if you decided not to buy it.
\

good luck.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
An aftermarket CAT of decent quality should work but these are not approved by CARB. A "legit" shop will not install it.

The Rockauto website has a good selection with prices on non-CA CAT's.

Note: if so for some reason the inspection station inspects the aftermarket CAT and finds it is not approved they can refuse to do the test.

The Toyota CA/complete exhaust system was at one time around $1200, call a few dealers. "Toyota Parts" | "Toyota Accessories" | 1stToyotaParts.com is a online Toyota dealer selling discount parts. If calling identify yourself as a internet customer to receive the disounts.

The life of an aftermarket CAT depends on its size and quality. These tend to be undersized to save money. To increase changes of a longer life use a decent quality aftermarket CAT. The Toyota CAT is sized for the job and typically of very good quality.

To detect a bad CAT, ideally the shop would test the exhaust gas before and after the CAT and look for reduced emissions (typically N0x).

Suggest you find out what the trouble codes found were. Typical codes associated with a bad CAT are P0420 and P0430. This stated the cars computer system does not directly test the CAT but gives an indirect indicition of performance. In some cases the problem is a A/F or 02 sensor.

A plugged CAT (rare) can cause engine problems. The shop can install a manifold gauge (vacuum gauge) and based on its indictions tell if the exhaust system is plugged up. You can buy a gauge and test it yourself, the internet if full of posts on testing for a plugged exhaust system.

You can't test exhaust gas emissions without a tester.

A hole in the exhaust system can cause emissions problems, check for this.

A more common issue is a bad A/F or 02 sensor leading to poor MPG.

This is another reason to get any troublecodes as these sensors are are also monitored by the computer. Check for sensor trouble codes.

If you had a diagnositic tool that provided real time output you can connect to the ODBII port and watch the sensor operation. Having the service data (available if you poke around the internet) you can then determine if the sensors are working OK, the fuel ratio is OK, etc. If everything is OK but the emission is high (typically N02 for a bad CAT), then the problem is most likely the CAT.

Toyomoho, you are the BEST!

Thank you very much!