General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Toyota Camry 2.4l Trans Output shaft leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Default 2004 Toyota Camry 2.4l Trans Output shaft leak

New member here.
I have a 04 Camry 2.4l auto about 4-6 months back I replaced drivers side cv axle. While removing the axle I damaged the piece of the rubber that fits around the cv axle.(not the seal seal just the rubber flange that will fit around the axle) Sorry for the lack of terminology. Ill try to post of a picture. I should have replaced it the seal but I didnt. Fast forward this weekend I noticed the transmission leaking. It never leaked after the axle replacement. Just leaked this weekend. Leak was coming from the transmission output shaft. I replaced the seal (National). After I replaced the seal it is still leaking a lot. I installed the seal with the seal driver tool. Could I have possibly damaged the seal while installing? Is there any other part in the trans output shaft that could cause the leak other than the seal?

I also noticed once I had the axle removed the retaining clip wasnt there. Im not sure if when I first installed the axle if the clip was on or if it might have came off when removing the axle this weekend. Could not having the retaining clip cause oil to leak?

Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Its not uncommon for the seal to be damaged when removing and or replacing the shaft. When installing the shaft orient the gap in the snap ring downward. Carefully install the splined portion of the drive shaft into the differential carrier gear and slide it in. One installed, RAM it home to have the snap ring engage.. Or once the shaft is in, use a soft metal bar and hammer to force the snap ring to engage. If needing to pull the shaft out to ram it in again, do so with the same care as before.

The snap ring holds the axle onto the differential carrier gear. If the snap ring is missing, the shaft is free to move in and out of the differential. This can cause a major leak.

Need to replace the snap ring. Not sure you can fish the old ring out with a magnet.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the response. I will locate a snap ring. Any idea of where to get one? Will Autozone carry the part?

Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Clips are available for Toyota axles but this axle is known part.

If you didn't use a Toyota axle, you will need to find a clip that fits the axle brand that was installed. This may not be the same clip as Toyota axles use. Might start by checking with the store that sold you the replacement axle.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Clips are available for Toyota axles but this axle is known part.

If you didn't use a Toyota axle, you will need to find a clip that fits the axle brand that was installed. This may not be the same clip as Toyota axles use. Might start by checking with the store that sold you the replacement axle.
do you happen to know Toyota trans output seal part number ?

Old 11-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Check for the part in the link below:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...haft+seal,2336

The trans is a U241E. This can be confirmed by looking on the side of the drivers door for a sticker having the trans model somewhere on it.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Check for the part in the link below:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...haft+seal,2336

The trans is a U241E. This can be confirmed by looking on the side of the drivers door for a sticker having the trans model somewhere on it.
sounds good thanks for all the help. Ill reply on how I fixed my headache if someone in the future comes along with the same problem

Old 11-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Found Toyota part number

Old 11-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Update: Toyota seal is in along with the retaining clip that was missing and it’s still leaking. I’m not sure what else can cause a leak from the trans output shaft.
Before the Toyota seal went it I took a couple of pictures it seems like the Oil is seeping out from the bottom it looks like to be where the roller bearings are. I’m not sure if it’s normal or not.
The only other thing I can think of if the seal is not seated all the way in but I doubt it . Don’t know what to do now -.-

Old 11-24-2018, 06:27 PM

Bhhskanxbbxnskc

Quick Reply: 2004 Toyota Camry 2.4l Trans Output shaft leak