General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 Camry 0P500 Code and Erratic Shifting! Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Default 2006 Camry 0P500 Code and Erratic Shifting! Help Please!!

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie here, I am having major issues with my Camry. Its shifting very funky and throws the 0P500 code, I have replaced both VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensors and no luck at all) in addition I have noticed the lights doing funky things. I have outlined my journey since this has all began about a week ago. She has 159,000 miles on her and has never given me trouble to now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
John

12-28

Installed USA SPEC BT35 Bluetooth module behind factory radio (plug and play) directly into back of radio it's activated by pressing the CD button a second time (the radio thinks it's a disc changer).

When I installed this, I noticed there was a blue wire that looked like a ground wire that was broken, it's very easy to spot.

Not sure if this could be related.

12-31 approx 7pm

We were driving down the freeway approx 75 mph and all the sudden the car slammed into what felt like 3rd gear and than abruptly what felt like neutral then back down to 2nd or 3rd.

We pulled over and noticed the CE Light on, put in park then drive and tried to drive with same erratic shifting. Finally limped off freeway.

Checked fluids and all looked fine. Let the car rest about 20 minutes and then turned it around in to head home in approx 30 miles away.

Drive the car home out of overdrive and approx 15 miles from were I turned around on the way home it felt like it was slipping again.

Got home and parked car.

1-1

Checked code and found 0P500 Vehicle Speed Sensor A.

Went to local parts house and purchased airtex brand VSS and replaced sensor right underneath air box on tranny.

Cleared code and drove a few approx 7 miles with no problems.

Later that night we went to dinner in approx 30 miles away ( part of my test drive) and on the way back home at approx 41 miles since cleared code, the CE light comes back on and approx 2 minutes later erratic shifting again slamming into 3rd then neutral just like original problem.

1-2

Found out by my Haynes manual that on some models there are 2 VSS, I took air box and battery out and found the second sensor under battery.

I took original VSS that I thought was bad back into the slot underneath air box and put the new sensor I had purchased in the new slot I found under the battery and reset code.
Test drove 65 miles with no problem then CE light came back with same code but no shifting problems.

Reset code and parked for the night.

1-3

Drive car approx 20 miles and CE light came on with same code. I reset code this night and drove approx 13 miles over the next couple days with no problem.

1-6
Drove an approx additional 5 miles from above and CE light came on and then erratic shifting started again, seeming worse than the 2 previous times. Limped it home in 3rd gear using back roads from approx 15 miles.

Went to local parts house and purchased 2nd VSS and installed in the first slot under the air box (now we have two new VSS) and cleared codes, drove approx 30 miles and erratic shifting behavior started again along with CE light.

Pulled over and reset codes and let car sit for a few minutes. While sitting I noticed that the hvac control panel lights stayed on when I locked the doors (pressing lock 2 times usually shuts all lights off on and in the car) also the headlights wouldn't go off. Then I tried to drive home and immediately incurred same erratic shifting and CE light.

Pulled over and remover battery cable (I think it's clearing the ECM) and waited approx 5 minutes and then drove home approx 15 miles.

It throws the 0P500 code every time, yet I have replaced both sensors. I am thinking this has to be an issue with the ECM since it will run fine for 10-60 miles after disconnecting battery and then noticing the problems with the lights that only act up after the code is thrown.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the long post!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Radio ground wires can be brown, white/black or gray depending on which radio option.

What engine type, 4 or V6?