General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Toyota Camry Reliability Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Default 2007 Toyota Camry Reliability Issues?

I've been thinking about buying a used 2007 Toyota Camry, but after reading some reviews regarding the problems they've been experiencing, I've been questioning whether it's such a smart move.

Maybe I should just get a 2008 Toyota Camry or 2008 Honda Accord instead?

Do these not have the same issues, or is it too early to tell?

This is a review that I'm referencing:

Failed CV Joint 40k, uncorrectable dash rattle, poor tranny performance even with updated ECU flashes, failed brake components. The ride, comfort, and drive is as expected, however, the quality and reputation of yore are completely gone for the flagship Camry. Look at the Accord, they have none of these TSB problems! Big regret, should have waited for the new accord! Just paid $300 to fix the failed brake issue, feels like I own a Chevy!

Also these forums seemed to be filled with people frustrated with their Camrys.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef07197/

Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM

You've described our 2007 Camry LE V6! Right out of the gate the transmission was "hopping" gears. The dealer reset the computer. that didn't stop the problem. the car likes to hold first too long, then shifts hard into 2nd, as if you popped the clutched

dashboard rattles horribly. so did the center consule. I took the entire consule apart and lined it with thin foam to stop the rattling. unfortunately, i couldnt (nor would I want to) take apart the dash.

with 50K on the back brakes- the back left started to squell loudly. turned out the back right brake calper failed, burning off one of the two brake pads.

the tire air sensors failed, so the light is on all the time. dealer wants $300 to fix.

now with 55k miles, we have a loud road noise. its been progressively getting worse. before the car went out of warranty, the dealer replaced the back left ball bearings. that unfortunately didnt fix the problem. it's likely to be the CV Joint, since the noise seems to be originating from the front. the sound is similar to tires being out of balance/out of alignment, which they're not since we have the vehicle aligned every 5k.

suggestion - don't buy an 07