General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

More problems with 1995 Camry LE - Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Default More problems with 1995 Camry LE - Overheating

Well, the problems aren't letting up. My 6 cyl car has been overheating in a very odd manner.

1. After the engine has cooled down (cold), if a drive a few miles at residential speed - there will be a light mist of steam clouds coming out from the right side (passenger) of the hood. Almost unnoticeable but you can see it.

2. After I open the hood there is definitely the sweet smell of antifreeze and a light fog of steam.

3. There seems to be a leak on the left side of the engine (hopefully not the water pump) but when I look under the car there are 2 puddles; one on the left side and one on the right side.

4. I am used to the steam forcefully coming out of the radiator cap. Instead I am getting a very slight rise in engine temperature. It definitely gets in the red zone if I don't stop and add water. But it is limited my mobility significantly as I don't want to end up stuck somewhere.

I don't know where to begin although I suspect the water pump. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Are you stating the coolant leak is causing the engine to start to over heat due to lack of coolant? If so don't let the temp get into the red or the engine can blow a head gasket! This is common when the engine overheats into the red.

Where are the puddles, front or back of engine compartment? If front the radiator and a section of engine behind it have a plastic shield under them. There could be one source for the leak but the shield divides up the coolant allowing it to drip from two locations.

Typical locations for coolant leaks are:

Coolant overflow tank, check for cracking and hose between tank and radiator.

The factory radiator has plastic upper and lower tanks. The upper tank tends to crack resulting in leaks. Look down between the radiator and engine for signs of coolant on top of the plastic shield under the radiator. Very common.

When the engine is cold run your hands over the all coolant hoses such as heater, bypass, radiator, etc, for signs of coolant. Also check hose clamp locations for leaking. It is possible for hose to look OK at a distance but be starting to split, thus feel the hoses for coolant.

If you suspect a bad water pump look along the bottom of the timing cover for leaking coolant. Water pump leaking would be rare.

It is rare but has happened an engine "freeze plug" corrodes through causing leaking from the engine block.

There is a tool kit that allows pressurizing the coolant system with a hand pump via the radiator cap fill port. By doing this you can watch for leaks on a cold engine. Check rental shops and autoparts stores who may rent the tool which is very common.

Don't run the engine in the red or a head gasket will most likely blow over time.

Last edited by toyomoho; 09-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 PM

thanks glad to know it may not be the water pump however water is running down the left side of the engine. Just going to look at all the hoses and stuff you suggested.

Thanks Again.