General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Toyota Camry Key Fob Hell, Advice Needed

Old 08-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Default 2010 Toyota Camry Key Fob Hell, Advice Needed

Hey guys,

I'm the type of person where even the simpliest DIY tasks blow up in my face. Words can't express how much I freaking hate car alarms. It has been my number one fear with Camry after a few times of having the alarm go off, the fob doesn't work and the car won't start. The only thing the alarm is good for is keeping me from using my own car!

No problem this time, just always carry a spare Fob. Well my first Fob eventually stopped working so I started using the spare. Now the spare is dead too. I looked on youtube, and it appeared easy to just pop the thing open and replace the battery.

Well today, I went to Walmart, got the battery and popped open the Fob. To my dismay, all the key buttons felt out and the rubber covering came off. I had the hardest time cracking open the final shell and made have bent the battery springs as it won't just stay completely flat in there. But I did have a light when I pressed on it. I snapped it all back in place but buttons don't feel like they are mashing in correctly. Then suddenly my car alarm started going off. Frantly I kept mashing and mashing and it wouldn't stop.

This is so ridiculous that a simply battery change is giving me this much stress. What should I do? I bet the Toyota dealer will charge me like $300 for a new fob. Is there an easy way to stop the alarm if it goes off like that?

Old 08-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Is the FOB mounted to the key or separate?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:16 PM

I know this isn't going to help, but I really hate the on board security systems in cars today. It would seem this is just a scam perpetuated by the car companies to milk more money out of the owners.

At the very least there should be a way for the rightful owner to disable the security with the key if wanted.

I know Nissans have a huge problem with this issues [ or did from around 98-06].