General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2015 Camry LE Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Default 2015 Camry LE Gas Mileage

I purchased a new 2015 Camry LE a little more than a month ago. I traded in a 2007 Camry CE. That car would get about 28-29 mpg and was rated at 31MPG hwy. The new Camry is rated at 35MPG hwy, so I figured the new car should get around 32-33 mpg. However, in the 3 tankfuls I have put in my car (I am not considering the first fillup because I have no idea what the dealer had in there when I took the car), my gas mileage has been between 29.5 and 30.6 mpg. That seems low.

A couple notes on my driving habits. First, I am using the new car in the same way as the old car. It is my commuter car and I drive 33 miles each way to and from work daily. I also am using the same gas, and I am calculating my mileage based on how many gallons I put in against how many miles I drove on that tankful. I am not using the avg mpg tracker on the 2015 model as that is reading much higher than what I am actually getting. I also have nitrogen in my tires.

The dealer had an open house for new owners last night and I brought this up with them, and both the service person and mechanic had no answer for this.

So my question is twofold. First, is anyone here experiencing lower gas mileage like I am with the new 2015 model?

Second, does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the reduced mileage?

Thank you

Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles are on your new Camry?
Sometimes mileage improves as the engine 'breaks in'.
I knew this to be the case with older cars, not so sure about the newer ones though.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM

+1 to what Patonium says. Give it some break in mileage. On your next oil change, put in high quality synthetic, like Mobil 1. It's a whole new computer, adjusting all the gas and air and such feeds to the new engine, so even though you are driving about the same, the car is consuming fuel air and spark differently.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 PM

Thank you for the info.

The car is one month old and has 2000 miles on it. I would like to think there is a break in period, but the mechanic at the dealer said there is no break in period, so I could not factor that in based on what he said.

I will keep an eye on it. One other note is that the Average MPG calculator on the car is inaccurate, at least 2mpg over the actual mpg each tankful. I would like to think that the car going through a break in period might be the reason for that.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:06 AM

Those mpg meters are seldom correct. They use a bunch of factors to calculate fuel consumption, so plenty of opportunities for small errors to build up. You may consider having the dealer swap you out if you believe you are not getting the right mpg. Could be a computer problem, throttle problem, a whole host of things. Not unheard of in new cars. Do it before you put too many miles on it and you can't demand a change.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:18 PM

Interesting... I have the same car - 2015 LE with a 4 cyl. I have about 1200 miles on mine at this time. Mostly stop and go in the neighborhood. Some short hwy driving. I'm showing 23 - 24 mpg. It's rated at 25-35. I know a lot depends on your driving habits. I, however, am a very gentle driver. Wondering if it would be worth contacting the dealer. Afraid they'll just tell me what I'm seeing is normal. Otherwise, I love the car. My second Camry. I'm sure they're not going to want to deal with it. Would be interested in hearing what others think about this, too.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Your mpg's don't sound too far off.
When a car is rated for mpg's they have to replicate conditions to an exact set, like elevation, temperature, etc.
Also, I bet it is hot in Texas these days. Are you running the A/C?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 AM

Good points, Patonium. Yes, it is hotter than H--- in Texas and A/C is always on. I think all in all, what I'm seeing is right. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

You're welcome. Feel free to keep us posted as to how things go.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 AM

Follow up on my previous post about mpg - Took my 2015 Camry LE for a drive down the road from Houston to Dallas, last weekend. 250+ miles at 75-80 mph (still passed by plenty of pick ups!) and with a/c on the whole way. Got as high as 37 mpg and nothing lower than 34 mpg. So when they say 25-35 city/hwy, they're pretty much on the mark. So I'm happy!

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry LE Gas Mileage