General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 Camry timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Default 86 Camry timing belt

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and had a couple of questions to ask you. I have an 86 Camry with the 2.0 L 2S-ELC I4 engine. The timing belt recently snapped on it and I've been stuck in the rain on my motorcycle. I was trying to find out whether or not my engine was an interference or non-interference model. I have been unable to come across this on the internet.

Also another question. Would any of you trust taking your car to the local community colleges autoshop? Ours has a program where a 20 dollar donation and the cost of parts gets your car repaired. Being a poor college student, 200 something is much more appealing than 700 something(I've got a couple other things I want done when I take it in), but I'm curious if anyone has any horror stories or success stories with taking their car to a school.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM

It's probably non-interference, but go here; http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...cation_id=3487 to input your make/model/year/etc to find out. Look for Interference issues at bottom of page.

When you don't have much money then college autoshop may be your only option, so you may have to accept less than perfect quality. I'll guess the students are under the observation of an instructor so you'll probably be ok. You pays your money and takes your chances. They won't be able to mess up much as long as the timing belt/engine gets timed properly when back together. They'll know pretty soon. Might as well replace all the seals as well, even the oil pump o-ring and shaft seal. If you've got extra cash new water pump wouldn't hurt if it's been a while.