General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Default 89 Toyota

Hi, thanks for listening to my issue. My toyota has set for about three months .
When I try to start it, it will not start. I read somewhere that if you suspect it of being flooded, holding the gas pedal down will fix that. So I held the gas pedal all the way down. It will then start and barely idle very slow , but as soon as I let off the gas , it will die.

Have put in new plugs and wires, efi relay, fuel filter, new o-rings on the injectors, visually watched the injector by removing the fuel rail, and using a board with holes drilled for the injector ends to protrude, and secured the board to the rail to ensure the injectors didn't pop out when pressurized. The injectors didn't leak, and when I plugged the connectors up and tried to start, it sprayed in a conical pattern on a piece of cardboard i held to it.

I know I need to test the pressure regulator, but I am begining to believe it may not be a fuel supply issue.

I am not sure where to check next, especially since I have a very small budget. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
John

Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

The method may work for a carburetor but not for a fuel injected engine.

In general your stating the engine will not idle?

Does the engine run OK if you keep the RPM up? If the engine is allowed to warm up does it idle better?

The engine may have a cold start injector circuit on a coolant temp controlled timer that feeds more fuel into the manifold at cold starts.

Idle is controlled by IAC valve which is linked to a coolant temp sensor. A bad sensor or problem valve can cause start and idle issues.