General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Toyota Camry/4 door /4 cyl/ auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Cool 91 Toyota Camry/4 door /4 cyl/ auto

I am really hoping for a solution with my car. It starts up cold no problem..runs like a top. When I turn it off and try to start within 10-25 mins it will not. It will wind over but not catch. Has gotten worse....when it would eventually catch it, would start up very rough backfire and clear. It will idle forever. We replaced the ignition coil and did not help.
Thanks, Lynn

Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 AM

You should have first tried to determine if spark was the problem, that may have saved you the cost of coil. I'm assuming you are getting spark now. When you try to start hot do you get initial black smoke from tail pipe as it starts? If so then engine is flooding on start-up. This could be defective engine coolant temp sensor (ECT). They are easy to test with an OHM meter. If ECT tests ok then you may have leaking injector(s) that drip gas after shut down. Only way to fix is to remove injectors and send them to company that will flow test and repair - not too expensive once you get them out. If you have access to compressed air then you could remove plugs on hot engine blow out cylinders (wear eye protection) and try re-start to see if it will fire up, if so then problem is more than likley dripping injector. Wet plug may indicate which cylinder. How many miles?