Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   92 Camry keeps stalling (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/92-camry-keeps-stalling-2087/)

tdauber 07-24-2007 08:36 PM

92 Camry keeps stalling

Recently I purchased a 92 Camry w/AT and 2.2 engine because of my past experience with a similar Camry. Drove the car about 3K and has all sorts of issues. The car died and the fuel pump was diognosed as the problem. Drove another couple hundred miles and it would just die. No fire. Replaced the coil and we thought is was fixed. Now less than 100 miles later is just stalls. It will restart but would die again. Told my wife (who was driving from work) to turn off the AC and see if that helped. The car started and made it several miles home. Any ideas???? (It was one of the warmer days today since I have owned the car. When it died it was sudden, sort of like the coil issues except that it would restart right away.

pedro 07-25-2007 06:07 AM

RE: 92 Camry keeps stalling

Are you saying it runs fine w/o A/C but only stalls with A/C?

tdauber 07-25-2007 01:09 PM

Now that I have gotten the car home I have gotten the car to start several times, only to stall 10 seconds later. It dies suddently so don't think its fuel related. As I said before I just replaced the fuel pump and filter recently, plus new coil last week. I have turned off electrical accessories thinking it might be a relay overheating.

pedro 07-26-2007 07:56 PM

Can you keep it running by reving it above idle? If so, what rpm? Or does it stall when you give it gas?

tdauber 07-26-2007 10:11 PM

By reving the engine it would run for up to 30 seconds or so at 2K rpm. Then it sputtered or missed out and then died. It did seem to run longer at the higher revs as it would die within 5 to 1o seconds before.

pedro 07-27-2007 05:06 AM

When it dies can you re-start it right away (only to die again) or do you have to wait several minutes before it will re-start and run for the short duration?

Viktor 07-27-2007 10:01 PM

Maybe you have bad sensors or injectors or something. If i were you i'd do diagnostics again.

tdauber 07-28-2007 11:42 AM

Pedro:
I can start it right away. This was not the case when I replaced the coil several weeks ago. A Toyota tech seemed to think from a phone description that it may be a distributer. Just hated to throw $400 at the problem if this was not it.

pedro 07-28-2007 08:17 PM

I'm wondering if it's the condenser. It's inside the distributor. I think your car has one, but you can check by taking off the dist. cap and looking for a small silver cylinder shaped part. I would try replacing it as it should be a cheap test. Get back after you replace it and let us know if that was it.

tdauber 07-29-2007 10:06 AM

Visited with my mechanic at the grocery store this morning and he said it is all electronic and no capacitor.