General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Camry high idle not the throttle body...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Default 99 Camry high idle not the throttle body...

I have already removed the throttle body and cleaned it to new, there is no check engine light no errors nothing, I have tried adjusting the idle, when it’s warm it idles at 1100 ish and sometimes when I drive and stop at a red light it shuts off, have tried replacing sensors and no difference, don’t know what else it could be, have also replaced vacuum hoses, maybe not all of them.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

What engine type 4-cylinder of V-6?

The engine has no idle screw. The screw is to adjust the throttle plate location when parked (factory set). Idle is set by the IAC valve. If you can, readjust the screw back where it was originally.

Did you clean the IAC valve?

Did you replace the ECT sensor (coolant sensor for engine computer)?

Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What engine type 4-cylinder of V-6?

The engine has no idle screw. The screw is to adjust the throttle plate location when parked (factory set). Idle is set by the IAC valve. If you can, readjust the screw back where it was originally.

Did you clean the IAC valve?

Did you replace the ECT sensor (coolant sensor for engine computer)?
engine is the 4 cylinder, I did clean the iac valve as well, I didn’t replace the ect sensor, I tried adjusting that screw it don’t do anything unless I screw it in more which raises the idle, there’s 2 separate screw

Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest if required, to reset the clearance between throttle plate arm and stop screw on body.

Do this by retracting the rod in the vacuum powered throttle opener body (a round saucer object having a vacuum hose attached). Then set clearance between the arm and screw end to zero.

The other screw adjustment is for throttle plate open clearance with throttle body ports. This is set at the factory.

The ECT signals the computer the coolant temp. Computer then signals the motor in IAC to move one direction or the other. This to increase or decrease bypass intake air to set idle RPM.

The engine cold idle will be higher (around 1100), this set by IAC valve. Engine warming up, idle will drop as IAC adjusts air flow.

The IAC function is like a regulated vacuum hose leak to the intake manifold. More leaking air, the higher the idle.

There is no mechanical idle adjustment or idle up mechanical mechanism as with carburetor engines.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Suggest if required, to reset the clearance between throttle plate arm and stop screw on body.

Do this by retracting the rod in the vacuum powered throttle opener body (a round saucer object having a vacuum hose attached). Then set clearance between the arm and screw end to zero.

The other screw adjustment is for throttle plate open clearance with throttle body ports. This is set at the factory.

The ECT signals the computer the coolant temp. Computer then signals the motor in IAC to move one direction or the other. This to increase or decrease bypass intake air to set idle RPM.

The engine cold idle will be higher (around 1100), this set by IAC valve. Engine warming up, idle will drop as IAC adjusts air flow.

The IAC function is like a regulated vacuum hose leak to the intake manifold. More leaking air, the higher the idle.

There is no mechanical idle adjustment or idle up mechanical mechanism as with carburetor engines.
ok so problem is solved it wasn’t the ect, I tried replacing it. So basically once the battery is removed you have to reset the idle speed, it’s super easy,(YouTube) turning the key basically a couple of times and letting it run for a few mins. I couldn’t believe how easy that was after all the trouble and parts I tried. Thank you for the help