General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93' 3vz-fe sensor identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Default 93' 3vz-fe sensor identification

Hey everyone, I broke a sensor on the front of the block last night, working on replacing the front bottom motor mount. The sensor is located about 1 inch lower than the oil filter, and then to the left (passenger side) of the oil filter.

It's white plastic, and is connected to a loom that past the timing belt area, and has 1 plug capped off and connected to nothing, and the end of the loom was connected to this sensor. Plugs are white, sensor was white. After I tightened down the motor mounts, I went to crank the motor over thinking is must just be a oil pressure unit. But the car got ignition for 1 sec and then stopped getting fire and just turned over. I noticed than the Check Engine Light was on, so I cleaned up and went to bed. I didn't check to see if a "oil" light was on, I'll check that tonight when I get home. Regardless the CEL is now solid.

I suppose, I could have disconnected something when I was lifting the front of the motor (2" or so max), but since it was pivoting on the rear mount, I doubt anything near the firewall could have come undone. I have to replace the sender regardless, but I would like to buy one before its too late tonight and I have the dealers closed. I called them, and I guess they don't have exploded views anymore, because telling him it was right there near the oil filter did nothing for him, he wanted a part #. (uhmm, the plug is okay, but the sender took a ratchet to it and is in pieces, I can tell its white, and plastic, and I seem to remember a single blade connector. And yes, its in front of the block, all to the left of the exhaust, I would say its right behind the oil dipstick tube if you wanted to get a how far left/right on the front of the block it is.

Thanks in advance,

Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93' 3vz-fe sensor identification

For the electrical plug, what color are the wire(s) and how many are there. Take note: a wire can have two colors such as Blue with a White strip.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:28 PM

I'll have to check at home, but I popped the plug and pulled the top of the broken sesor out, and thought it was a single blade.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have photo of this engine so just guessing.

Does it look like the sensor is mounted on the side (toward front of car) timing belt area? In the area of the crankshaft. This engine uses a crank and cam sensor but both have two wires running to them. Is the cable running to the sensor shielded?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM

From looking at my Haynes for the 3VZ-FE the location of the oil pressure switch is exactly as you describe. If it has only one wire to it, it's probably the idiot light switch. Toyo may have put a lockout in the ignition system so that if your oil pressure does not register the engine won't start. If you are able to remove the sender unit you will see a small hole drilled in the end, that's where the oil pressure will act on the sensor. You'll also see oil seep out the hole in the block. I'd remove it and take it to the dealer so you can compare to its replacement. If you can post a pic that would help as well. If you can provide toyomoho the wire color(s) he may be able to check his electrical diagrams for the color. If there is no lockout for no oil pressure then the problem is else where.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Does not look like this year had the crank sensor, thus ?

One can always pull the codes up and go from there.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks guys. I was looking at online order and the oil sender unit looks ALOT like it. Considering the cost difference between crank/cam sesor and oil, well, I'm just gonna get the oil sensor. I'll put it tonight, since I was going to remove the oil filter and oil to be able to get the correct torque on the 1 engine mount bolt anyways.

Not sure how this forum works, I have another question, so I'll ask it in a new thread.

Thanks, I'll update this tonight.