General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 camry

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Default 93 camry

i just replaced the engine in my 93 camry and i reused the auto transaxle. When i first got it running with the new engine the engine ran just fine but when i put it in drive it doesent pop in gear like normal...i have to give it a little gas and then it slides into gear. I know the trans is not bad cuz it was perfect when i removed it from old engine....what kind of adjustments need to be made??

Old 04-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 camry

Are you stating the trans will never shift into drive unless you press on the gas? What engine idle speed?

The only external adjustment is the shifter cable. Make sure the lever is fully engaging the Drive position on the trans.

Make sure the trans is up to the mark on fluid.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: toyomoho

Are you stating the trans will never shift into drive unless you press on the gas? What engine idle speed?

The only external adjustment is the shifter cable. Make sure the lever is fully engaging the Drive position on the trans.

Make sure the trans is up to the mark on fluid.
yea when i put it in drive it does nothing it will even roll backwards when im on aslight hillbut i press the gas a little and it catches and starts to move.....and when i took the trans off the old motor i know i lost alot of fluid from it but the dipstick still reads full....what could be causing this?? And also would the diff fluid have anything to do with this?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

How much fluid did you lose? The trans holds about 6 quarts. If the trans is low on fluid this can cause slipping.

Are you checking the trans fluid correctly? Trans fluid HOT, engine on, parking brake on, run trans shifter through each gear from Park to 1st and back to Park. Engine still on, use dip stick to check fluid. Should be between the notches of the "Hot" mark stamped on stick.

As a starter check you can use the fluid "COLD" notches using the same process. But to get the correct final amount you still need to go through the hot fluid check.

Do not think the differential would cause this problem but make sure the diff has fluid. On some trans such as those used on the 4 cylinder the diff has a separate fluid camber. Look on the rans for a fill port, either on the back or drivers side of the diff housing and a drain port under the housing.

On some V6 transmissions the fluid fill port is the same as the trans dip stick. It would still have the drain port.

Remove the diff fill port if equipped, fill with trans oil until it runs out then replace plug. Make sure the diff has fluid or you will destroy the ring and pinion gears plus bearings.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: toyomoho

How much fluid did you lose? The trans holds about 6 quarts. If the trans is low on fluid this can cause slipping.

Are you checking the trans fluid correctly? Trans fluid HOT, engine on, parking brake on, run trans shifter through each gear from Park to 1st and back to Park. Engine still on, use dip stick to check fluid. Should be between the notches of the "Hot" mark stamped on stick.

As a starter check you can use the fluid "COLD" notches using the same process. But to get the correct final amount you still need to go through the hot fluid check.

Do not think the differential would cause this problem but make sure the diff has fluid. On some trans such as those used on the 4 cylinder the diff has a separate fluid camber. Look on the rans for a fill port, either on the back or drivers side of the diff housing and a drain port under the housing.

On some V6 transmissions the fluid fill port is the same as the trans dip stick. It would still have the drain port.

Remove the diff fill port if equipped, fill with trans oil until it runs out then replace plug. Make sure the diff has fluid or you will destroy the ring and pinion gears plus bearings.

Im not sure exactly how much fluid i lost when i swapped engines but i lost a good bit.....and im checking the fluid correctly numerous times and it still reads full....i dont see how this could be possible when i watched the fluid spill out.....also the fluid is a little brown which i know is bad but it was working perfectly before i swapped engines....could an electrical wire on the tranny not being plugged in cause this??