General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 camry air conditioner fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Unhappy 93 camry air conditioner fan not working

Hi i have a 1993 camry with 566000kilometers 5sfve engine 2.2 litre .the head gasket blew in heavy traffic in town forgot to check water .That was fixed about 4000km ago .LatelyT\Car has started using about a litre of water /coolant every 2 days from the overflow bottle .I took it to a radiator shop and they pressure tested my system all good no leaks anywhere .When they tested it when engine gets hot the engine cooling fan kicks in howver the aircon half of fan does not kick in .Took it to aircon shop and they said i must replace the condenser as its rusted at bottom ..they claim it has feutre built in that stops aircon running to protect the air conditioner compressor .true storey or pie in sky .Do i go ahead and replace condenser and regas it accepts modern gas now or do i do compression test for internal leak by cylinder head .Car doesnt get above half way tthen thermostat opens up letting in cold water and or engine fan turns on .Car not using oil.I tested the relays ..unsure which ones are for aircon fan there is fan 1 2 and 3 and aicron management ..Did not have spare big square relay to test aircon management any advice would be helpfull

Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Is the coolant overflowing from the bottle?

If the A/C Freon gets too low, the system will turn off and No 2 fan.

Was the cylinder head checked for leaks?

Find out why the coolant system is losing water.

The A/C system has pressure test points where a gauge can be installed. If the A/C system has a major leak such as stated at the condenser, the system will have zero pressure.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:01 AM

Hi the coolant seems to be disapearring unsure where not at water jackets not under car. .The condenser had a very bad leak no gas at all so i suspect no 2 fan is not turning on at all engine is getting hotter ..using more water /I will do this in 2 steps test ac to see if condenser working or unrepairable at second shop if unrepairable ...replace ..then test fan 2 with car in hot idle if it kicks in just monitor water usage ..if water use stays high after ac repaired what do i do a compression test for cylinder head thanks wayne

Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 AM

hi update condensor has major leak ..no gas at all .So am i assuming right to replace condensor radiator refill with gas then fan no 2 should work

Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Need to replace the condenser and the A/C dryer/filter which is SOP whenever the system is open to outside air.

If the temp gauge never gets above normal, the coolant temps are within normal range.

Can add a die to the coolant which will glow under black light to help find leaks.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 AM

ok will replace condensor refill etc where is ac/dryer /filter.So im assuming because condensor is broken badly replace because fan 2 does help with cooling of engine even though my temperature stays just under half thanks wayne

Old 08-06-2021, 06:32 AM

I once had similar problems with the air conditioner, but everything ended up more accessible for me. At the very beginning, I thought I had something with the compressor, perhaps it has worn out over time, and I will have to replace it. After all, now the parts are made for several years, not like they used to be on cars... I went to my best friend in his service for repairing and cleaning a/c, my car was checked and said they would try to do a chemical cleaning. If this does not help, then you will already have to change the compressor. In the end, it turned out that my radiator was dirty, and it interfered with the proper operation of the air conditioner. I cleaned it, and everything became fine.

Last edited by oliverkell; 08-10-2021 at 05:09 AM.