General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Camry from Hell!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Default 93 Camry from Hell!

Trying to fix a 1993 Camry v6 for a friend and it is about to get dropped off at the local dump.

It fires up and idles nice and smooth, but if you give it any throttle it bogs hard and if the throttle input is continued it dies. First we changed the fuel pump and filter, that didn't fix it so we unhooked the cat. thinking maybe it was plugged. no change. hooked a fuel pressure tester up, fuel pressure is fine. Tried a new mass air sensor, nothing new.

A check engine light is on, and I read somewhere that to get the codes manually you have to jump 2 plugs in the diagnostic terminal. I did this and the light doesn't blink.

Someone please help before I light this thing on fire.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

What wire terminals did you connect? Should be the E1 and TE1.

Turn the ign switch on before connecting the terminals.

How is fuel flow?

Might be the throttle position sensor.

Check codes first!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Yea TE1 and E1. I jumped them with the ignition off. Then turned the key on and the light just stays on. A friend is going to let me borrow his code reader so hopefully it works. Fuel pressure is perfect.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:08 PM

Got a code reader. Went step by step with what the instructions for the reader say and when I hit the "link" button it comes back with "ERR".

I think the computer is jacked.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

These year of car does NOT have the ODBII system later models do, "ERR" may mean error.

You need an ODBI type reader that is setup to read this make and year of car computers codes.

OR

Follow the procedure outlined above which is:

Turn on ign.

Jump the connections.

The check engine light will flash out any codes one number at a time.

Example: one flash, pause, two flashes, pause = code 12.

If more then one code is stored, a longer pause will be between the two numbers.

When the readout is complete the codes will repeat. If no codes are stored the light will flash at a constant rate.

Once you have the code(s) search on the internet under the code number and words Camry or Toyota.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Were not 100% sure on the year. The door says it was made 9/93 and the hood says it's ODB2 compliant. But this is a salvaged vehicle so who knows if the hood and door are stock. The car has 3 diagnostic ports. We took it to a local garage and he tried 3 different readers as well as jumping the port under the hood and couldn't get anything. One of the guys there is certain it's the crank position sensor. While the other guy doesn't believe we have good fuel pressure and thinks it's the pump.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

If the engine has a remote crank sensor it is at least 1996 or newer and should be ODBII.

Check the VIN number then do a Google search. There are a few sites having VIN number explanations where you can determine the year.

Once you figure out the year, post back.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:36 PM

It's a 94. It is ODB2. the V6 camry's went ODB2 in 94. From what I'm reading on other sites you can't pull the codes manually fro mthe ODB2 and you have to use a reader. Well we've put 4 different readers in that ODB2 port and can't get a code.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

If a 94 Camry with V6 engine option, the diagnostic system is not fully compliant with ODBII as were cars 1996 and later.

You need some kind of special interface cable, or something like this. I don't know the exact item needed.

The problem of reading codes for this car, a 94-95 Camry with V6 option is common, thus suggest a Google search on your situation.

Might also review posts or ask at the Toyotanation site about this problem.

The 4 cylinder equipped Camry continued to use the older method of reading codes (jump the connectors) until 1996.

Thus I assume the computer is OK, the issue is the system was not (is not) fully complaint with ODBII when built. The EPA did not mandate fully compliant ODBII systems until 1996.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 PM

you guys know? one interesting thing i knew is that v4 and v6 camry has a big differents in acceleration and speed

Quick Reply: 93 Camry from Hell!