General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC Unit - Power draw?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Default AC Unit - Power draw?

Hey, I was wondering if having an AC unit, not running, results in power loss? Basically, does the AC unit have a parasitic power draw?

I'm curious because I wanted to have it removed for the winter (and replacing it with a zero-resistance pulley or something?) and spring seasons if it will result in better MPG. Thanks

Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

The compressor only operates when the AC is turned on. It will then cycle on and off as needed and not run continuously.

The pulley that drives the compressor has a electric magnetic clutch. When the clutch is powered the compressors drive shaft is connected to the pulley. If the clutch is not powered the pulley is not connected.

To save on power keep the AC system off. The only item turning will be the pulley, not compressor.

The compressor does draw power, how much? From a MPG stand point is supposed to be better to run the AC then have the window rolled down when driving on the hwy.

One other suggestion is during the winter if possible run the AC for 15 minutes a week as this will circulate the lubrication oil mixed in with the Freon. This prevents seal leakage and compressor freeze up issues in the spring when the AC is needed again.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info Toyomoho. So I guess it's not worth it to remove the AC unit then (other than weight but I assume that's only 30 lbs.)?

Also, I never thought to run the AC unit in the winter - good idea.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest not taking out the AC.

Not enough weight to save on MPG, need to redo the drive belt system for the AC compressor (now gone), need to vacuum and recharge AC system when reinstalling compressor for summer ($$) plus may need to new AC dryer as moisture will get into the system ($$).