General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Camry - Weird Electrical Problem; sometimes won't start

Old 04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Default 94 Camry - Weird Electrical Problem; sometimes won't start

Over the last 2 weeks, on a few occasions, when I would try to start the 94 Camry, it would not start.

Here are some of the symptoms:

[ul][*]Would not turnover.[*]Would not make any clicking noises (starter)[*]Interior & Exterior light problems - headlights would not come on, interior roof light would be dim, dashboard lights would be dim.[*]Windows sometimes would go up or down and other times would not.[*]Clock on dash resets
[/ul]Then when I would fiddle with some controls (i.e., the headlight switch, roof light, air conditioning/fan dials, take key in and out, etc...) eventually it would start, headlamps would come on, interior lights would no longer be dim, and the car seemed fine.

When arriving home at night, I was pulling up to the house, and I started to apply the breaks, I noticed my headlights would get a little dim. So, I parked, hit my brakes again, and seemed like they would get dim, but brighten up when I took my foot off the brake.

So, as of yesterday, I cannot start the car at all. I fiddled with the interior components, but had no luck getting it started this time.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

joe

Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Default RE: 94 Camry - Weird Electrical Problem; sometimes won't start

Not like its obviousbut it sounds like electrical, Im guessing either your battery is old and not keeping up anymore, or alternator is on the way out. Fiddling with the different accessories I would expect you turn some of them off, which requires less power to be drawn. I've yet to do anything reguarding the electrical system and yet I have a sound system running fine. I'd suggest trying a new battery first, thats a bit cheaper than a new alternator.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:04 PM

I have a hard time believeing it is the battery or the alternator since all of a sudden it would start and the electric seemed fine. I was wondering if this could be a starter or solenoid issue. But it doesn't make any clicking noises which makes me think it might not be the starter.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 AM

It may be the voltage regulator in the alternator notkeeping up with battery drain. I would first clean your battery connections and the starter connections and charge the battery. See if the lights dim then. If so I would get the alternator checked.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Agree with Pedro, check the battery cables for damage or corrosion at both battery and starter.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:58 AM

I am about to head outside in a bit to check / clean the battery connectors.

Can you tell me where the starter is located? I was searching online to maybe find a pic of the location, but could not find anything.

And I should be looking for corossion directly on the starter where the cable is connected?

Old 04-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Ok, the last 2 days when I tried to start the car, it wouldn't start. So, I went out to clean the terminals, but did not try starting th car before had. After cleaning the connections, the car started right up. I let it run for 10-15 min and shut it off. I will go back out in a bit to see if it starts again.

There was not much corossion on the positive terminal - very small amount.
On the negative terminal there was no corossion at all.

Do you think there is a good chance that the battery just needs to be changed?

Oh, and after letting it run, I tapped the brakelights to see if the head lights dimmed, and they did not.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

The terminals do not have to be badly corroded, just enough to cause poor contact. The other issue is the cable connection terminals become corroded on the cable.

To find the starter follow the large possitive battery cable to the starter. If a 4 cylinder you should easily see it on top of the trans, if V6 look under the battery tray.

The battery should have a voltage of 12.6-12.8V if fully charged (and engine and all acc have been off for a few hours).

Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM

I was having the exact same symptoms a couple weeks ago and I had a brand new battery in it. Well, just to check it out, I took the battery back to Walmart and had it tested and it turned out that although it was putting out 12.8 volts, the CCA (cold cranking amps) was only at 310 at 72 degrees when it was supposed to put out 540 at 0 degrees. They replaced the battery free of charge. If the problem occurs again, I will have the alternator tested. Have the battery tested and see what comes up.