General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

water pump replacement..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Default water pump replacement..

hi guys,

here's my question. my '96 camry is having a over-heart problem lately. i noticed the return tube in the coolant system remains cool even after a good 1 or 2 mile drive, and also is the inlet tube to the engine.

i assume this is a water pump problem. assuming my diagnosis is correct.

here's my initial question; is timing need to be reset if i replace the water pump without replacing the timing belt?

if you all can give me some feedbacks, comments, or suggestions, i would really appreciate it.

thanks in avance.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Water pumps can have impeller failure but this is rare.

Have you checked the thermostat, radiator plugged, collapsed lower hose (rare).

Remove the radiator cap (engine cold). As the engine warm up watch the coolant flow, you should be able to see it circulate. Check the coolant for debris, thickening up.

Might start by flushing the engine and radiator out with clean water. Check the outside radiator fins for excess debris and dirt.

If everything remains in the same location (cam(s) and crank pulley) as before the belt was removed the timing should be OK. If the timing was set OK after the last new belt change it should be the same.

The water pump and engine oil pump gears (if 4 cylinder) do not have to be timed.

If you do replace the pump might as well replace the belt, it is going to be just about the same amount of work.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Water pumps can have impeller failure but this is rare.

Have you checked the thermostat, radiator plugged, collapsed lower hose (rare).

Remove the radiator cap (engine cold). As the engine warm up watch the coolant flow, you should be able to see it circulate. Check the coolant for debris, thickening up.

Might start by flushing the engine and radiator out with clean water. Check the outside radiator fins for excess debris and dirt.

If everything remains in the same location (cam(s) and crank pulley) as before the belt was removed the timing should be OK. If the timing was set OK after the last new belt change it should be the same.

The water pump and engine oil pump gears (if 4 cylinder) do not have to be timed.

If you do replace the pump might as well replace the belt, it is going to be just about the same amount of work.

thanks, i appreciate the feedback and suggestion.