General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 v6 trans problems i think

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Default '94 v6 trans problems i think

Got a 1994 Camry v6 with 200k miles and starting to experience some problems I am afraid are transmission related. Very sluggish acceleration from a stop, and I mean people behind you blowing the horn kind of sluggish. But then when you are up to a certain speed it seems to accelerate just fine. When coming to a stop sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to downshift and you get a thump thump kind of feeling for a few moments. Does this sound like transmission is going? The trans fluid level is good and the fluid color seems good.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the trans overdrive clutch fails to unlock, the result being the trans torque converter is always locked up. The car would seem like it is driving all the time in high gear.

As to what to do about it. The trans has a self diagnostic system much like the check engine light system. It could be a code(s) is stored to help diagnosis the problem.

The 94 Camry with V6 engine uses an ODBII type diagnostic system. Find someone that can connect a code reader to the cars ODBII port and read any trans codes if present. Note, the 94 is not fully ODBII compliant as such some code readers may not work.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Interesting. Do you think Auto Zone or Advance, etc.. has a tool to read this type of code?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps, suggest calling ahead and stating you have a 94 Camry WITH V-6 engine.

The 94 Camry with 4 cylinder engine did not have any ODBII type system thus engine type is important. ODBII systems became mandatory for US cars by the Feds in 1996, Toyota was ahead of the game.

However there is some confusion as noted in the link below:

location of obd2 port - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Default got it scanned

I took the Camry to two different auto parts stores and had the OBD scanned. Here is what they came up with:

P0773 Shift solenoid "E" electrical malfunction -SSV DSL
P0753 Shift solenoid "A" electrical malfunction -SSV SL1
P0758 Shift solenoid "B" electrical malfunction -SSV SL2
P0335 Crankshaft position sensor
P0402 EGR system fault
P0135 A/F sensor 1 heater system malfunction

Obviously it sounds as if it is not the transmission that needs replaced but the shift solenoid, is that a fair assumption?
I'm willing to try and tackle this myself but I have no idea where this solenoid is. I've done mostly minor work on my vehicle, brakes, tune-ups, is this fix out of my league? Is there a how-to thread on this someone can share or any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Given the number of engine and trans codes suggest first checking for wiring issues on engine and trans, perhaps the wiring is damaged, cut, shorted, etc. This can cause trouble codes.

P0335. Check ohm resistance of crank sensor. Cold 1630-2740 ohm, Hot 2065–3225 ohm. Check for shorts and open wiring.

P0135 The heater on the 02 sensor is drawing to much current or not enough. Check heater resistance on sensor. One wire is always black/orange (12V when ign on) others can be violet/red, purple/black or blue/black. Make sure the black/orange wire is getting 12V when ign switch is on. 11-16 ohms at 68F

P0402 EGR. Excessive exhaust gas flow.
-EGR valve stuck open. Valve route exhaust from engine back to engine intake. Valve can stick open typically due to carbon build up.
-EGR VSV problems (electric valve that turn/off EGR system). Valve can fail or wiring has open circuit
-EGR temp sensor. Sensor can fail but rare or wiring is shorted or open.

The 3 shift codes affect all 3 electric solenoids on the trans. If all solenoids are not working trans may not shift properly and feel like it is stuck in high gear. Try manually shifting gears.

At a stop shift into low, then when driving watch RPM to shift to 2nd and then 3rd as MPH picks up (around 2500 RPM). If the car now feel like it is driving normally (not sluggish) the issue could be the solenoids. It is unusual for all 3 to fail thus check electrical connections and wiring.

The solenoids need 12V power to work and be connected to the computer.

The solenoids can be accessed by removing the trans oil pan.

Try manually shifting and post back with findings.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Thank you very much, I will try it this evening and report back.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 PM

One other thing to consider...
I read something a mechanic wrote about when the transmission fails, small pieces of metal filings can clog the openings on the solenoids. Advice is to remove trans pan and check for particles of metal in the fluid. I assume that before I remove the pan I need to drain the fluid? And does the pan need a gasket when I put it back or just bolt it back up?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Having all solenoids fail at once is unusual. Cleaning them (if the problem) might be best done by taking them off and blowing out with air.

The fluid needs to be drained. There is a gasket, suggest getting a replacement kit which includes a new filter screen for the trans fluid intake. There should also be two magnets on the bottom of the pan that collect ferrous metal. Clean these and reinstall.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Default tested shifting

First thing I did was disconnect the neg battery terminal. Reconnected half hour or so later.
Crank Camry up. I noticed the yellow "O/D OFF" light not flashing. I put in D and R and the trans engaged both immediately. The yellow "O/D OFF" light starts to flash, yes, the O/D button on the shifter is pressed. Accelerating in D is still slightly sluggish but not as much as it had been. I shift to L and it takes off big. Haven't felt that kind of acceleration from this car in a year or more. At ~2500 rpm to 2 and then to D with no problems. Braking/ decelerating no problems. Reverse no problems.

The computer, solenoids, trans, etc. all suspects? or did we narrow this down with the shift test?

Quick Reply: '94 v6 trans problems i think