General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

94 XLE Camry won't start after short trips...any clues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Default 94 XLE Camry won't start after short trips...any clues?

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry XLE, and she is my baby, with just over 200K on her!

It won't start the second time from cold. The first time is no problem. I have to drive 20 minutes or more before I turn her off if I want to turn her back on again right away.

This used to happen just once in awhile, now it's all the time.

The starter is fairly new.

When she won't start the electrical stuff still turns on.

I get my oil changed every 3k but I'm probably leaking oil and coolant to some degree.

I have a friend working on it this weekend and we're trying to pick up any clues of where to look to find the source of this issue. Appreciate any help!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM

have you tried to heat it up before using!some motor or engine needs to be heat up specially new engines.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by full house
have you tried to heat it up before using!some motor or engine needs to be heat up specially new engines.

you mean that I should heat the car up before driving off?

yeah, i dont usually warm up much, so that might solve it?

what do you mean new engine? its a really old engine...200,000 miles on it...not sure I understand....

Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by kikiII
I have to drive 20 minutes or more before I turn her off if I want to turn her back on again right away.

This used to happen just once in awhile, now it's all the time.

The starter is fairly new.
Just to clarify- does the car crank but not start? Or does it not crank at all? "Turn her back on" doesn't quite explain the situation clearly.

JJ

Old 11-11-2009, 06:15 AM

it does not crank, it makes no noises, just the electric goes on when I try to start it. when it finally does start it sounds relatively normal (to me)

Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 AM

You still might have an issue with the starter. Luckily it's easy enough to check with the help of an assistant. You'll need a test light or preferably a DVOM to check- but when the car starts acting up on you. With an assistant holding the key in the crank position- check for voltage at the starter "S" terminal at the starter solenoid. It should be battery voltage. If voltage is present- you have a failed solenoid in which case you should replace the starter.
If you don't have access to a DVOM or a test light or are not mechanically inclined- have your assistant hold the key in the crank position while you bump the starter with the handle of a small hammer. If it suddenly starts to crank.. you have a failed or failing solenoid in which case you should replace the starter. Good luck.
If you have 0 voltage present at the starter S terminal- check and see if you're getting a click from the starter relay at the engine fuse box. You should be able to hear the click from from the drivers position with the hood open.

JJ