General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 camry squeak under car near gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Default 97 camry squeak under car near gas tank

Evaluating a car for one of my kids. Everything looks good except when the car is rocked forward and backward there is a rubbing sound, like metal to metal, coming form the gas tank area. When you stop rocking within a second or two, after the car has stopped moving it will give one or 2 small squeaks like it is settling in. I have felt everything under the car, breaks, shocks, support members, frame and the only place that a vibration is felt is when I place my hand on the gas tank.

If were an older car my first guess would have been an issue with the U-joint.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 camry squeak under car near gas tank

What year of car.

Older Camry has had issues with the upper strut support mounts causing a knocking noise. The mounts are located under the rear deck just outside the rear speakers. Rock the body and listen for noise at this location.

Bad sway bar bushings or sway bar end links can cause knocking or squeaking when going over bumps. Unless obvious damage these can be difficult to check by feeling for play.

The rear suspension is independent. The bushings at the end of the various arms holding the suspension knuckle into place can wear out. Jack up the rear tire and check for any play in the suspension by moving the front/back of the tire back and forth and top bottom porton in and out. If the bushings are bad, you should feel play.

Also check for wheel bearing play.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Default RE: 97 camry squeak under car near gas tank

Took the car in and the problem is in the gas tank. After removing the sending unit they could not see much as the view was limited. Sending unit works fine and is in one piece. They felt someone may have dropped something into the tank. I believe, due to the sound being basically the same all the time, that it is a broken baffle. I'll never know.

Looks likd a replacment tank is in order.

Thanks for the reply.