General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Camry dying at stops and traffic lights

Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Default 96 Camry dying at stops and traffic lights

Hello,

I bought a 96 Camry one month ago(165k, 2 owners). I drove it around 1000 thousand miles and the only problem was my power steering was leaking(I've checked the oil and coolant, the only thing decreasing was power steering fluid, and I'm adding a few everyweek).

When I bring it to my mechanics for oil change, we saw that engine is also leaking oil from seals. Since I was generally happy with the car we decided to change all seals, timing belt and water pump.

After that I drove my car around 1500 miles too. Everything is ok other than a problem

My problem is;

When my engine is warm(temp never goes more than middle, so it is not over heated) at traffic lights my car stops. Not everytime. When I bought the car this happened just a couple times for the 15 days. But now it almost occurs one or more times everyday.

I'm not sure but I don't think that it happens when the car is cold.

It runs pretty good. Just when stopping at lights or turns it tends to die, if I pull to N and use accelerator sometimes it helps and car doesn't die. Otherwise it dies. No problem with starting it again, but it could happen 2-3 more times. Sometimes it never happens again. To me totaly random. Using a little bit at higher rpms can help. But after a while it sometimes happens again.

Today I was going on highway(engine was warm, and I was at 30-35th miles of my daily trp) around 60mph(about 2100 rpm). I realize that engine is knocking very very few(anybody else wouldn't understand). I understand that it's gonna die if I stop somewhere(but it never dies as long as i drove it). I just wanted to see and pull the gear to N, and yes it was dying. Just that I keep the rpm around 2500-3000 for a few seconds and pull it to D again. It continue running.

This issue started to occur often after my timing belt, and water pump change.

Oh, also I have added an injector cleaner to my tank last weekend, but seems like it didnt really help.

Engine doesn't show any error lights.

What do you think that problem could be?
Should we connect it diagnostics?
Can there be sth wrong w/ timing belt and water pump replacement?

I don't really want my mechanics to try everything, spend his and my hours and not able to fix the problem. For that reason I wanted to take your ideas too.

Thanks a lot for reading and replying. Honestly I'm so happy w/ my 12 year old car, that runs like a new car and everything is great. However this issue is dissappointing and I want to fix it since it troubles me in the traffic..[/align]

Old 02-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Default RE: 96 Camry dying at stops and traffic lights

ORIGINAL: Avantgarde

My problem is;
Just when stopping at lights or turns it tends to die, if I pull to N and use accelerator sometimes it helps and car doesn't die. Otherwise it dies.

Today I was going on highway...I realize that engine is knocking
What do you think that problem could be?
The idle stalling and highway knocking indicates your EGR is not operating properly. It sounds like it does not close fully at idle which produces a vacuum leak and stalls the engine. A malfunctioning EGR also causesknocking. I would pull the EGR and clean it as they are very expensive to buy new.You'll also have to cleanout the connecting tubes as well. This is a very doable DIY job. Thehardest part is disconnecting the large nut connecting the EGR to the exhaust. You'llneed a 1/2" drive crow's foot 15/16" (I think?). I would also check the engine timing at some point as well.

Cleaning involves using carb cleaner and wire brush. Compressed air doesn't hurt either. Your mechanic may have a solvent bath that you can soak the EGR in overnightfor a small charge or free if you're on good terms.