General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'98 Camry 2.2l Engine Damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Default '98 Camry 2.2l Engine Damage

Hello everyone,

I just signed up to the Forum; I have a '98 Camry 2.2L 4cyl. To get to the chase, last week the car over-heated and started making a "ticking" sound. I had it towed to a mechanic yesterday morning, they checked it out and told me that I have a bad bearing either in cyl 3 or 4. I do believe that this is the case because when I first crank up the engine, there is a screetching sound which then turns into a knocking sound.

The engine basically ran very low on oil and basically ruined it. I have no experience at all with Toyotas which leads me to my doezen questions:

- What is the best place to get a rebuilt or used engine?
- Would any engine from '96 to '02 work fine in a '98? Electrical, CPU, other differences?
- Is it possible to put the V6 instead of the 4 cyl?

I really appreciate the help and feedback if possible.

Mike

Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

It's possible to install a V6 as it was an option. The only way would recommend this is if you obtained a totaled car having the V6 of the same year or close and swapped out parts. Otherwise too costly as the V6 uses a different trans, axles, radiator, suspension springs, computer, wiring harness, etc.

Might look a 98-99 engines. If just changing the block maybe 00 and 01. Toyota changed engine models in 02. You can do a Google search to determine what computer was used and if yours carries over. Typically computers are for a specific year, engine, trans, emissions setup.

For rebuilt or used engines might check at the Toyotanation website for suggestions. Used engine were being imported from Japan but not sure if this is still done.

Best place might be an auto junk yard, one linked by computer to other yards. The engine could the be shipped from whatever yard had it.

Try Craigslist for cars being totaled out due to crash damage.

If you are having a shop do the work, get an estimate of repair for used and rebuilt engines. You might find buying another car the cheapest route.

If doing the work yourself, guessing a used engine may run $600-1000, cheaper if doing a private sell from a wrecked car. Rebuilt engines at least $1500.

Last edited by toyomoho; 02-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 AM

Joey, Thanks for the feedback. From what you suggest to other people comments on other forums, I think I'll be staying away from an engine swap; too much work for what's worth.

Now, the car is still drivable and the knocking is not that loud which tells me that BAD Bearing(s) could be the only problem. A few people on 6thCamry forum suggested to drop the oil pan, remove the bearings, and replace them with a new bearing kit. Also, to check the crank for any scratches, etc...

Do you think this will be an OK solution?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

If your going this route suggest you stop driving the car now as driving is going to damage the crank even more.

How mechanically inclined are you?

You will need to drop the pan then the counterbalance section to get at crank. Before you do this get some kind of manual to figure out how to it and keep track of the parts and what goes where.

Some people have done this, the issue you will not know the damage to the crank until you remove the bearings and can see it. It is possible the crank is damaged beyond repair or could be reground.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Talking

I would like to say I am fairly good mechanicly inclined, I can fix mostly anything IF someone (like you pros) can tell me what might be wrong with it. I have only drove it to back it up for the tow truck for 10 ft, don't want to chance further damage as u say. I bought the manual off eBay so I guess I need to start reading thru it. Mostly did work on components around the engine, valvetrain and heads before so block and its components will be new to me. I do have help available who has been working on cars for decades so I guess its time to get dirty.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Worth a try, others have successfully done this. Again you will not know what you have until you view the crank journals.

Suggest you review the balance shaft gear timing and shimming before taking the unit apart, It helps when putting it back together.

Not a pro, just persistent.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll pull the car in the garage this week and start working on it. I'll stay proactive on the communication and hopefully post some pix.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Great!