General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camry help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Default 98 Camry help

Hello new member here. Good to meet y'all.

I need some help with my wife's v6 98 Camry.
She called me Monday from work and said here car won't start. A guy tried to jump it off but no luck.
I drove to her work and took the battery off and carried it to Advanced. The battery checked good 12.8 volts, 697 of 750 cranking amps. The car is dead. No lights, bells, nothing.
I went back home and got my trailer and got the car home and checked the fuses and relays. Everything checked good. I tried to start her car and it cranked right up?
She has drove it since then. I wrote it off as a loose relay.
I went outside to move it this evening.
Car is dead again. I put a multimeter on the battery, 12.87 volts. Again no bells, lights, nothing?
Any suggestions?
This is driving me crazy!

Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Does ANYTHING work on the car, headlights, brakes, hazards lights, horn or ABSOLUTELY nothing?

The battery voltage appears OK and if jumping doesn't help the issue may not be the battery.

The positive battery circuit splits off at the positive battery terminal. One large cable runs to the starter solenoid. Any wire(s) goes to fuses inside a fuse/relay box. Unlike the cable running to the starter solenoid, the other wire(s) also incorporate a fusible link in their wiring. This is a section of wire that will melt if too much current flows through it.

The horn and hazard fuses receive power directly from the battery. They take power from the wire running from the positive battery terminal to the fuse/relay box. If no power to these items the lack of power issue begins near the battery.

Check the following:

Clean battery cable terminal connections between these terminals and battery lugs.
Good electrical connections between the battery cable terminals and cable itself.
Good negative battery connection with chassis.

Locate a relay/fuse box on the drivers side of chassis. Look inside for AM2, Horn and Hazard fuses. Remove fuses and check for battery voltage on one side of fuse socket (ign key off).

If no voltage, the issue is between this fuse box and battery. The wire (black/green) runs from battery to box and incorporates a fusible link. This link could have problems. The link is typically incorporate into the start of the wire, near battery.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 PM

I got it fixed today. It was the starter. The hot wire lug was broke on the inside and causing a lose connection.
Thanks for the help.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it is fixed and thanks for updating!