Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   98 Camry wont start after Cleaning EGR System and Air Intake (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/98-camry-wont-start-after-cleaning-egr-system-air-intake-4352/)

plkarie 08-30-2008 10:35 PM

98 Camry wont start after Cleaning EGR System and Air Intake

I spent the day cleaning the Throttle body and Air intake of my 98 Camry then pulled the EGR Modulator and the EGR Valve. Cleaned them with Carb cleaner and all hoses. This took most of the day due to really trying to clean out the gunk due to a Engine light that said I had an EGR problem - restricted flow.
So I cleaned the IAC, etc with the Camry being cold.
The big problem after getting everything cleanup and reinstalled, making certain the EGR valve was clean and working properly, the Camry not only WON'T start but makes a terrible sound that I have never heard before. I shutter to say, that it almost sounds like metal on metal.
The car ran great before I pulled the EGR components off, but was starting to have a problem cold starting. The engine light had been on for a about two months. I had the code checked and found it was the EGR system,but the car ran fine, then cold starting became an issue a few weeks ago, so I assume it was the EGR problem.
I'm hoping that there is just too much Carb cleaner in the system and for some reason is keeping everything from acting normally, so I opened up the air intake and pulled various hoses from the EGR system to let Carb cleaner evaporate,but quite frankly I'm afraid to try and start it tomorrow after what occurred today.
Any help and ideas would be great otherwise I'm stuck until next week.
I know this is a long thread,but I wanted to offer as much info. as possible.
Thanks for any help out there.

pedro 08-31-2008 06:33 AM

RE: 98 Camry wont start after Cleaning EGR System and Air Intake

It's tough to solve these issues when you don't have basic test equipment to isolate the problem or have not done some basic troubleshooting before hand. A vacuum gauge for instance would tell you if you have a large vacuum leak. The metel-to-metal may be because you put a lot of carb cleaner down the intake and it washed the cylinder walls clean of oil, but that's only a guess. Once the engine gets full oil pressure on start-up oil will get to pistons. If this car has a MAF then maybe you damaged it with the cleaning. I guess the first thing to do would be to eliminate spark as the problem because that's the easiest. Remove a plug (and the other plug wires so the car won't start) and ground it, then have someone turn the engine over and see if you get a bright blue spark.Be careful of spinning belts when under the hood.

nodrogkam 08-31-2008 09:40 AM

You didnt happen to loose any faseners, scrwes etc...did you? I'm only kidding.

Anyways when i clean my TB - which is a lot less work and fluid than you used for all your parts...i have trouble cranking up too. NO metal sounds though, just cranking and no ignition. Typically it is because it is still flooded with cleaner. Hopefully you were able to let it air out over night. You should be able to start it this morning.

Although it isnt really recommended, what i have to do to get my car started after a TB clean is give it 1/2 throttle when cranking and let up off the throttle to about 1/4 once i feel that its about to catch and then keep it idle about 2K rpm for 10 seconds to burn off any left over fluids.

Your exhaust will most likely smoke for a minute or less so that's normal. But if it keeps smoking and its like black smoke...shut her down and have it towed.

And if you manage to start it and it begins to actually idle, but is making a horrid noise, also shut her down and have it towed. If you used a whole can of TB cleaner - as another member suggested - you may have cleaned the walls of oil so its metal on metal. Some light damage may have been done but nothing near serious (in my opinion).

Lastly, i just read your post again and i noticed you said Carb cleaner...
Are you sure you used carb cleaner because you're not supposed to use Carb cleaner. Your car does not have a carborator, and the can should instruct you to use a throttle body cleaner instead. I accidentally bought a carb cleaner once - still have it in my garage- and i knew it wasnt right since it told me and i never used it.
If you have a friend mechanic or a family mechanic, give them a ring just to see what they say. I'm not sure if using carb cleaner is detrimental to the vehicle but if the can said not to use in modern engines or non carborated engines...then it must not be good for it.

Good luck!

plkarie 08-31-2008 10:41 AM

The cleaner was safe to use on Throttle bodies/fuel injection systems. Thanks for the information. I propped open the throttle plate to make
certain all of the cleaner and fumes evaporate before I try this again. I was wondering if I should put a few drops of Marvels into the cylinders
to offer some lubrication just in case?

pedro 08-31-2008 11:55 AM

Can't hurt, but be careful not to use too much as you will foul the plugs. Even plain oil would help.

plkarie 08-31-2008 09:26 PM

Thanks for the Help Gang. I got it started finally. It took several times to get it running. It kept turning over and didn't give me the dreaded
Metal to Metal sound. It runs very smooth. I'll let you know if it solved the rough cold start problem.
Thanks again!

nodrogkam 09-02-2008 11:18 PM

cool cool =)

diver1972 09-18-2008 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: plkarie

I'll let you know if it solved the rough cold start problem.
Did it?

PyrMan3 09-19-2008 03:09 PM

um you shouldnt try to clean the iac, carb cleaner usually spells death for those

ant7701 09-23-2008 04:15 PM

ok.....so what does everybody use to clean the IAC???

I keep seeing threads on cleaning them because of their infamous rough start symptoms....but everyone keeps saying dont use carb cleaner