General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Toyota Camry california emission to 5sfe emission swap getting p0505 error help me

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Default 98 Toyota Camry california emission to 5sfe emission swap getting p0505 error help me

Hello im new here and would be very thankful if i could get help with my problem. I went and got a new engine for my 98 Toyota Camry and gave them the vin and they said the engine would match . but to find out the engine is a 5sfe fed emissions engine and i am now getting the idle air control check engine code , i guess i needed the California emissions engine in the car . im not sure if i do or not . i looked at the sticker under the hood to the left and the sticker says California and on the vacuum diagram says to the right that it is standard, which is it? Is it possiable to keep the engine in the car and get the computer to sync up or can i have the ecu flashed or would i have to change both the ecu or the wire harness on the engine? it is a 4 cylinder 2.2 , as well an existing problem with the abs light comes on and off but now is on how would i go about shutting it of without going to a shop? Thanks for your help <<< Peter

Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

ABS is not connected to the emissions but may be a result of the engine swap which required removing the front axles each having an ABS sensor. Make sure the wiring and connections to these sensor is OK.

As the code. How does the engine idle? Make sure the wiring and electrical connection is good for the IAC valve.

Make sure the engine air intake hose is connected has no leaks.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM

thank you and i know the abs is not connected to the emissions , but i do need to look over the sensors for the abs . the iac wires are in great order and there are no leaks i have gone over it with a fine tuned comb .

Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=Cotra9;72396]thank you and i know the abs is not connected to the emissions , but i do need to look over the sensors for the abs . the iac wires are in great order and there are no leaks i have gone over it with a fine tuned comb . What else do you think i can do with the IAC .im going to try and change the IAC Back to the California IAC on the FEDERAL motor ,its going to cost 3 bills from toyota but i guess its worth a shot and if that dont work i hope i can find someone that is looking for that part to get my money back. anyone have a thought on that or has anyone done this type of swap and ran into this problem before?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

The Rockauto parts site list both a Fed and Cal IAC valve. You might consider shopping here as prices are lower, or other websites.

If going for genuine Toyota parts try Auto-Foward for discount parts. If calling identify yourself as an internet customer to receive the discount price.

Or try junkyards.

Might also check if the IAC valve is actually working. The AutoZonewebsite may have troubleshooting procedures.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Well if anyone is having the same trouble that i had with the engine swap . all you need to do is change the throttle body from the California emissions.take the californias emmissions off and place it on the standard emissions engine with the IAC and leave the third vacuum hose off to the side .and this will fix the p0505 idle air control check engine light issue ......

Old 12-25-2013, 09:28 AM

I am in the same boat I have not yet installed the engine, but I am doing the same swap on a 99 camry. I noticed the port on the head for the line to the IAC. So if you just leave that vacuum line off you have no problems, I really don't want to have to change the head too.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 AM

I guess what I am asking is if I switch the throttle body and leave the third hose off I will get no chk eng lights?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

What engine year swap and type of emissions setup for old and new engine?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:14 PM

I have a 99 camry 2.2 California and am swapping to a Fed motor because the company sent me the wrong engine I still have yet to call them but I want to get this car done asap. I switched over the wiring harness and throttle body with IAC, and I am going to switch the exhaust manifold with sensor over too. My question is what about that third air line that is on the IAC? the fed motor doesn't have the port in the head and the other poster on here said that you can leave it off, I still need this car to pass inspection here in TX and not have any chk eng lights.

Quick Reply: 98 Toyota Camry california emission to 5sfe emission swap getting p0505 error help me