General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 camry overheated

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Default 99 camry overheated

hi, i just joined this forum to ask a few questions.
a friend of mine's family just lost a toyota [sm=boohoo.gif]
what happened, from what i was told, was that the engine's water pump broke as the car was used on the hwy, and the driver didn't really pay attention to the temp gauge, so the engne siezed up.
i come by after hearing the news, because my friend busted a valve spring on an accord, and we swapped the head a few months ago, and now this. so we will try to fix this one as well. as you may have guessed we really aren't mechanics, but with general knowledge of how things work, and a haynes manual, we got it done. now we'll probably have to swap motors.

to the Q part:
a) how much does a 99 camry 4 cyl, 2.2L sohc i believe, cost with about 60-80K on it? i believe its a 5sfe motor and from what i know is about a grand $.
B) the earlier models had a 5sfe also, which are half the price of the 99 camry ones, why? whats different in them?

i'm really not familiar with these motors, i own a 7gen celica, so i focus on 1-2zz's.
help is greatly appreciated with gathernig some info on this. thanks.

btw: i'm involved in this because this is some great hands on experience and, well, a friend needs help. they were gonna just junk the car, so if this fails, not a big loss, but a motor swap is fairly simple, its just that i was surprised to find out the price of the 99 motor.
that's all

Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Default RE: 99 camry overheated

hmm, so no one knows, eh? c'mon someone knows!

the diff. gen 5sfe's seems similar, so will all the sensors hook up fine? will the newer ecu work well with the older 5sfe?

Old 12-16-2006, 11:07 PM

ok, nobody knows, i guess...
so i'ma inform those who may want to know on what i've found out so far... if i am wrong on anything, please correct me. and if you would like to add anything, go right ahead

1. the older ones had a distributer, while the newer ones have distributerless
2. the older ones have a fuel return line, whle the newer ones dont
3. the newer 5s block was changed a bit by the addition of a few oil galleries between the cylinders,
making boring the block out risky

some say it is better to just stick with the newer motor to keep the swap simple.
another reason not to do this would be to keep the car street legal. older engine + new car = NoNo

btw. i've heard a rumor of an aluminum 5s block? although this is a rumor, i would like to know if its true/false... ps, anyone looking for power gains, look up 5s-gte. this forum doesnt seem to be too active...

Old 12-26-2006, 10:38 PM

The waterpump is a integeral part of the crank/valve timing which means the engine wont rund if the water pump goes south. This engine won't bend valves if the timing belt breaks.