Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   AC (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/ac-52792/)

Rouds39 04-13-2019 01:22 PM

AC

Hi,
Got a question about the AC in my 2014.5 Camry SE. (Just turned 60K yesterday.)
Yesterday it quit pumping cold air at the Max setting
using a thermometer it was actually about 8 or degrees warmer that outside temperature.
When last used, a few weeks ago, it was fine.
Fuse good. No codes or pending codes.
What would make it fail without any indications (no funny noises either).
Almost seems like the rotary knob doesn't want to go below the heat function.
Thanks Rudi.

toyomoho 04-14-2019 10:46 AM

The knob physically can not be turned to below heat?

Any blinking lights on the A/C system controls?

When the A/C controls are turned to cool, does the A/C compressor cycle on/off?

Have you checked for codes via the climate control system? It has its own self check system with codes.

Rouds39 04-14-2019 12:39 PM

Joey,
Thanks for the quick response.
Knob rotates fine. No flashing lights, buzzes or beeps. It seems like the temp is set a bit high
as the air coming out of the vent is 74-ish (outside temp was 65-67F). So possible a problem with what the rotary knob controls?
No DTC 's set. OBD2 reader show AC as level temp (no degrees just a straight line), 0 ls (don't know what that entails) in live mode.
As mentioned it worked fine a few weeks ago.
Using an Autel Maxidiag Elite reader updated yesterday.
Rudi

Rouds39 04-14-2019 01:03 PM

Joey,
Part 2.
Rechecked the 7.5 A fuze it's good and controls only the blower, so that's ok.
The compressor: The engine doesn't seem to lug down or change noise when I
turn on the blower in Max air, or when I turn the Temp control from full hot to Max AC.
Neither of the hoses are cool/cold the upper most one is warm.
Are there any other fuses I may have missed?
What does R134A smell like??? There is a slight sweet odor which reminds me of antifreeze.
Cooling system is fine and never had to add any. Got the car in Aug 2016 from Hertz.
Thanks again.
Rudi

toyomoho 04-14-2019 03:56 PM

The A/C puts out cold air but not cold enough, or puts out no cold air at all but air at the same temp as outside air?

Set A/C to max cold then operate. The A/C pulley will always be rotating but the A/C compressor shaft will only rotate when the A/C pulley clutch locks up. The clutch (and compressor) will cycle on/off rather then be constantly on. When the clutch/compressor engages, the engine RPM may vary slightly then adjust back to normal. The idle system adjusts for the A/C being on/off.

If the clutch/clutch compressor never turn on its most likely locked out by the A/C computer. A major reason for lock out is low Freon. 2014 is pretty new for having low Freon.

The A/C system has Freon and a lube called PAG oil.

The Freon used is supposed to have a slight, ether like smell. PAG has a "mild" odor.

The climate system has its own built in self diagnostic system which will display any codes via the climate control unit screen. YouTube should have video's on how to access it.

Rouds39 04-16-2019 08:32 AM

Joey,
Something strange is going with forum.
I posted several responses to your questions sunday and yesterday and they don't appear???

The knob turns fine.
No cold air, ambient or slightly higher.
Compressor hub tuns AC on or off, my neighbour's camry the same.
No noises like a clutch activating or RPM drop.
All 3 fuses good (two 7.5 amp one 50 amp).
No dtc set.
Use an Autel Maxidiag Elite, which was updated Saturday, in toyata mode.
Rudi

toyomoho 04-16-2019 11:08 AM

Have had the same experience with replies not being posted or seemingly disappearing and needing to post again. Don't have any answers as to why.

The compressor locks out if the system pressure (Freon leak) gets too low.

Has happened a critter makes a nest in the A/C evaporator coil area which effects its ability to work.

The climate system takes engine coolant heated hot air and A/C cold air and mixes the two using an airmix damper servo connected to a door at a blend box to get the required temp. If this door is stuck the air can be too hot or too cold. The door is electrically servo operated.

The part might be the one in the link below:

https://parts.toyotaofcoloradospring...ItNWwtbDQtZ2Fz

Click to the left part part for an exploded diagram of the area it is located at.

Find the part. Operate the climate temp control and determine if the servo operates in response to the changed temp setting.

The compressor and heater could be working OK but the airmix system not.

Have you tried searching YouTube for videos on engaging the climate systems self test feature?

Rouds39 04-16-2019 04:27 PM

Joey,
Well, made appointment to have car fixed.
Rudi

toyomoho 04-17-2019 11:15 AM

You gave it your best shot!

Please post back with what the problem and fix is.

Rouds39 04-20-2019 11:40 AM

Joey,
Here's the update.
The result was that the compressor failed.. Extremely unusual I'm told.
My son who had his own repair shop and worked for various automotive places said he never seen a Toyota
compressor fail. Since I have an aftermarket warranty (via hertz) it was time to invoke it.
The shop told me the compressor was $3300!!!! (we know it is less than $800 at Toyota) but an adjuster would come to vet the repair, and did.
My car should be ready for pick up monday.
So in this rare case the aftermarket warranty really paid off.
Thanks for all the help, you guys were great.
Rudi.