General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another case of the hot cold HVAC issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Default Another case of the hot cold HVAC issue

Well. I recently walked a mile to figure out why my 05 Camry was overheating. Long story short, apparently my head gasket has a slight leak that cannot be detected except from a slight miss and intermittent smoke puff from the tailpipe. So I believe the water got low over time. So I threw in some flush, drained, and refilled. It seems to have solved the overheating problem. And the idles purrs like new with Silicon Silicate in the system. But now I have a new issue, that turns out to be an ongoing curse for Toyota owners. Especially with the Camry.

My heater gets warmer on the driver side than on the passenger. Although, the heat is intermittent. At times, its hot. Other times its not. Either way, the passenger side stays lukewarm at best. Now its my thinking the heater core could need some real flushing out. But I don't see where this explains why one side of the dash can be hot and the other not. That is usually an issue with a door flap or something. But the consensus across all websites seems to be question marks abound. It isnt logical for a clogged heater core to freeze a passenger and burn a driver. My service manual is nearly useless in this endeavor.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue? I burped the heck out of the cooling system to rule out air locks. Although, who knows how well it worked.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Check for temp variations at L/R foot well outputs.