Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Automatic Door Locking Is Annoying (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/automatic-door-locking-annoying-52341/)

billt 06-19-2018 05:26 AM

Automatic Door Locking Is Annoying

First off I'll admit to not being the best at studying owners manuals. They are getting too think and complex to research, and I can never seem to locate the information I need. With that said my new 2018 Toyota Camry locks the doors every time I move the gear selector into Park. I'm assuming this has something to do with preventing kids from opening the doors or some such. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this? It's loud, annoying, and unnecessary.

Another thing I noticed is after I exit the vehicle and lock the doors with the key FOB, it will only open the drivers door when I unlock it. The other day I wanted to open the passenger side with the FOB, but it wouldn't open. Again I don't know why it doesn't open all the doors like my Jeep does with a single press of the unlock button on the FOB? I'm hoping there is some way to change this, but I'm not sure??? Is anyone familiar with any of this?

toyomoho 06-19-2018 11:44 AM

These programming features vary and from year to year.

The place to start is the owner's manual.

YouTube has LOTS of video's on programming Toyota Smart Keys including one or all door unlock options.

mothorton 06-19-2018 11:39 PM

On my 2003 Camry, if I punch "unlock" TWICE quickly, All doors unlock......try that.

billt 06-20-2018 06:14 AM

I was reading the owners manual last night. There are several pages on it. It's not very clear HOW you go about programming the vehicle to not do this. Mainly because the way it's written. The input becomes very confusing depending if the vehicle has a keyless FOB and push button start. Or a keyed FOB with Lock / Unlock / Alarm and keyed starting. Both require different inputs. I'll try to deal with it more today.

On my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee it's very easy. They show you in the manual step by step how to get to the page on the screen that controls that particular feature. You then simply proceed down the list checking or unchecking the box on the touch screen as to which feature you want activated, and which you don't. Toyota is nowhere near as user friendly.

billt 06-20-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mothorton (Post 98391)
On my 2003 Camry, if I punch "unlock" TWICE quickly, All doors unlock......try that.

I did and it works. Thanks! Now all I have to do is figure out how to make it stop locking doors every time I shift it into Park.

Vulcan05 06-20-2018 03:44 PM

Your car must be different from every other car on the planet. For the rest of us, our cars LOCK when you put the car in gear and UNLOCK when you put it in PARK.
If yours doen't work that way, tell the dealer to hook up his Techstream and properly program the lock/unlock.

billt 06-20-2018 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vulcan05 (Post 98395)
Your car must be different from every other car on the planet. For the rest of us, our cars LOCK when you put the car in gear and UNLOCK when you put it in PARK.
If yours doen't work that way, tell the dealer to hook up his Techstream and properly program the lock/unlock.

That may very well be what it is doing. But either way, I don't want my door locks connected to the transmission selector if I can change or disconnect it. As I said, it's both unnecessary and annoying.

billt 06-20-2018 05:05 PM

I really wish they wouldn't do this with all these new cars. When I bought this thing the headlights stayed on after shut it off, along with a bunch of other stuff I didn't want, and had to figure out how to turn off. Usually after struggling to find out how. Just like this silly LOCK / UNLOCK door, shift lever device. When they deliver these things, all this stuff should default to OFF. If the new owner wants them engaged, then they can study the owners manual for hours, and figure out how to turn them on..... Not the opposite.

I don't have kids. Kids will never ride in this car. So this whole "feature" is nothing more than an annoying nuisance.

I found this, tried it, and it doesn't work.
https://independentmotors.net/toyota...oor-lock-mode/

So I'll most likely have to call the dealer and see if they can help me over the phone. Or else if it requires 12,657 different steps, bring the damn thing in and let them do it.

billt 06-21-2018 12:14 PM

FIXED!!!!

This morning I went into the screen and finally found it. It took about 10 minutes of hunting, but I finally found the page. You have to go into "MENU", then into "CUSTOMIZED SETTINGS". Then you have to look for "DOOR LOCKS". (I missed it the first couple of times). The "customized settings" was throwing me off. Then you scroll down until you find, "Door lock in D", and press "OFF". Right below it is, "Door unlock in P", and press "OFF".

Now my door locks are completely independent of whatever the transmission selector does. For what it's worth, the owners manual was not very helpful with any of this. Once I found out there was a "DOOR LOCK" page, then I found everything real quick. Just be sure to touch "CUSTOMIZED SETTINGS", or you'll never get there.